Author Topic: "Backdoor.Trojan" virus help?  (Read 258 times)

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
"Backdoor.Trojan" virus help?
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:26:23 AM »
My kids have been using my laptop while I've been on AH, and somehow got it infected with the "backdoor.trojan" virus.  I know this becuase Norton AV tells me that's what it is, but is unable to delete it.  I've tried every way i can think of to get rid of it, but the next time I start the computer and run IE, all the pop-ups start again and make the computer unusable.
Any ideas on how to get rid of it?  Thanks!

Edited to add:  Please try to talk in non-computer geek language.  I'm not really a computer person, so normal English is most appreciated!

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 06:30:15 AM »
backdoor.trojan is a group of viruses, it does not say which virus it is.

Norton usually gives you the name of the virus too... then you read up on internet, at northon, what the virus is about.

Then follow the instructions on how to remove it.

Usually its delete the infected files and remove references to the virus in registry, which is a bit tricky at times.
Then reboot and check if its gone.

Some Viruses you need to boot into save mode to get rid of, but mostly its enogh to delete the files.

If the infected file is importand you will have to find an uninfected version of it, usually cant restore it if its a program.

When the virus sits in an office document norton should be able to desinfect the document.

ciao schutt

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 08:32:05 AM »
If your laptop is either XP or ME for the OS you need to turn off system restore before attempting any manual disinfections as prescribed by Norton or anything like that.

To turn that off do the following.

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> look for the System Restore tab or button that will allow you to modify its settings. From there you turn it off then reboot your computer in Safe Mode (push F8 button in start up) then follow the directions as you got them off the Norton site.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"