Author Topic: Best Gun Convergences for Buffs?  (Read 951 times)

Offline Spike45

• Zinc Member
Best Gun Convergences for Buffs?
« on: July 15, 2000, 12:16:00 AM »
Thoughts, opinions?

------------------
Spike45
Mad Bombers

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
I set mine to the maximum allowed which is 650 yds. I start shooting at a con at D1 or D1.1 or so.

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

eskimo

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2000, 08:08:00 PM »
Dito, 650

eskimo

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2000, 08:47:00 PM »
I think the max convergence setting will be about as good as you are going to get. The RL guns had no convergence...just as nose mounted fighter guns didn't either.

There was nothing to be gained by canting the gun lines in on turret mounted guns. The gun lines were close enough and resulted in overlapping dispersion cones without any need for convergence.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Bush (edited 07-16-2000).]

Offline Spike45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
Tnks guys, good stuff!  

------------------
Spike45
Mad Bombers

SpyHawk

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2000, 08:13:00 PM »
I would guess that convergence on a bomber, judging by what iconography it displays in the convergence screen, actually sets the distance at which the various gun positions converge.

For instance, if you are in the tail and point down and to the left, your left wiast - ball turret - and tail turret would converge at 650.

Just my guess though.

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Yep Max it out.  I will often times pop a few shots out when I see a lurking enemy plane at d6 or so that is working up the nerve to make a pass, just to let them know I know they are there   .  You would be suprised at how often this "helps" them with their decision.  

Of course, I'm also the kind of guy that will let a buff that has already droped head of with an open channel "best wishes" too, but hey, I'm a nice guy  

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
This is one of those...I don't think it matters...as far as I'm concerned buff guns are so overmodeled it doesn't matter. I've been hit at 1.8 more than once and often am totally hosed before i get inside 800.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
As far as I know convergence setting for buffs does not change anything, I may be wrong though.

Fariz
XII Legion.

Offline Spike45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2000, 08:40:00 AM »
We'll humble, wont debate if buff overmodeled or not. They seems perty easy to kill to me, lol, I shoot em down quite often. If fighter guys has some patience and sets up good attack, buff almost allways dies, this dont seem overmodeled, IMHO!

I played with my convergence set at 500 for a long time, worked perty good, but maxed out at 650 totally rocks. Never gonna change it unless Highteck tinkers with sometine in the future. Great tip guys.

I personally dont shoot under 1k very much anymore, like to sucker em in. Then i put em in the dirt, sometines,  

------------------
Spike45
Double Trouble (B17)
Vixen (B26)