Author Topic: Evil P-51 tricks & tips  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2000, 07:27:00 AM »
The pony is an pretty nice turner aswell  

Regards

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »
good now I think I got the idea  

I will try this moves to see what happens
thak's a lot for your help guys  

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
Actually,running is only an option for the 190 drivers.

Last night as i do many nights,i stay low & let the cons come to me,P51 can stall fight for a minimum amount of time. And i do mean stall!!

Fighting 2 Spits i used a ton o rudder and let the pony stall,controlling my drop with rudder. cut the spit i 1/2 as he passed through my guns. Good SA helps,knowing where the Spit was let me setup my stall,as my nose dropped in stall,ruddered over so Spit had to go through my guns. Also took the 2nd Spit out the same way.

Very intense fighting,not for the 190 drivers,er faint of heart  

Dog out........

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2000, 12:12:00 AM »
terracotta,

maniac would be another good stick to talk to...one of the best ropers i've seen in pony...invariably he'll get a good shot on me if he's got the E to start with. i'd ask hang, ammo rwy maniac if you could observe a flight or two.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2000, 01:10:00 PM »

Especially troubling is the total lack of even half assed performance above 23k.

Hmm, according to the charts the P-51D can out-climb all but the Me 109's, P-38L and Spit 9 at 25k. The only thing faster is the G-10, and not by much. The full arse performance version must be the P-51H...

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Heh stay hi, run away, pick on the outer vulnerable fighters.

Hristo call such people "opportunists"    

God i hate this 'pure figthing bullocks'. The MA aint a duel, its unfair, period. 8 of 10 kills in this game could be deemed 'opportunist'. If you were to only engage perfectly co-e opponents (ie non -'opportunist'), you be dead cause some other 'opportunist' would shaft ya.  stay hi, run away, pick on the outer vulnerable fighters. sounds like good advice irrespective of what you fly.

'opportunist' sounds like the moan of the defeated.

BTW, i have mauled plenty of 205s in the aforementioned drag and zoom then hammerhead move. They are not as easy as spits or nikis but can be done.
I agree with wardog, the stang can stall fight reasonably well. I got into a stall fight with an n1k2 and beat it (2 notches of flaps and wep). Just that its far from its strong points.
Hi-speed turn is brilliant, i've outturned spits at high speeds and wound up on their 6 by outturning them (not extended stall turns folks).

Stang is a nice ride, and if ya in the toejam ya *can* run. Other people cuss ya and call you all sorts when you do, but they're only jealous  

------------------
Overlord Spatula

if you adhere to all the rules you miss out on all the fun

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 07-23-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2000, 09:29:00 AM »

Originally posted by humble:
terracotta,

maniac would be another good stick to talk to...one of the best ropers i've seen in pony...invariably he'll get a good shot on me if he's got the E to start with. i'd ask hang, ammo rwy maniac if you could observe a flight or two.

this will be great thanks humble  

aircat

Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
 now Im no expert in 51 (or any plane realy hehe) but one thing I use in the e fighter planes ALOT is after a pass and go into zoom (even if not 1st one) watch the con in your 6 view once you have a slow seperation and are nearing 150 pull rest of way over slowly and watch them. they are about to go to a nose low to save themselves (note this is best when you have 1 to 1.2 vertical seperation) when you pull over get your wings level with his and set up a lag turn (more E for you and less for him) you SHOULD have a nice shot since he is still slow and somewhat stead fighting stall to get out of your guns. if he doesnt pull up get your speed to about 250 or so and pull out... re set up the egagement with him lower. but most important. if your not in trouble use LOW G manuvers.

the only times I get in trouble with this is when I let my SA drop looking for other planes OR if its people like Hristo, Mitsu, and Citabria (they seem to have thier own flight models) <G,D,R>

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Evil P-51 tricks & tips
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2000, 08:15:00 PM »
I fly the p51 a lot and have yet to find a particular plane in AH that can't be beaten co-e with a little patience.  With an E advantage the p51 is nearly invincible in a 1 vs 1.  Basically I just try to keep speed to a maximum and always turn while climbing or diving.  When you have an E advantage you can "outturn" any opponent by zooming up while at the same time rolling to place them directly in your high 6 view.  By continuing to roll as you come over the top of your loop they should be directly in front of you and probably about 5k below.  Repeat as neccesary.  

As for the wing sheading aspect of the stang, the trick is not to roll the plane during a pull up at over about 450 mph.  The p51 does seem to have a nasty habit of losing wings without warning, so I try to use rudder and chopping throttle to limit speed to about 500 mph max while in a dive.

Honestly I'd say the p51s biggest disadvantage is the fact that it must rely on E fighting to win.  In the main arena you rarely find fights where you can zoom continuously without another enemy coming along and picking you off at the top of a loop.  I think this is the reason for the "pick off the guys at the edge of the fight first" comments.  This is good advice in any plane, but I personally just try to engage the highest con in the area by making a quick pass to get him to split-s or maybe even catch him sleeping.  

I find the biggest advantages of the p51 are it's range, speed, and the ballistics of the 50 caliber.  The 50 is the easiest gun to get hits with in snapshot situations, BUT you must get about 1 second of hits on a single part of the aircraft to damage it severely.  Don't rely on speed to save you all the time though.  Many planes, like the 109 and 190, can easily catch you with their superior acceleration before you can get up to top speed.  Fortunately the p51 seems to be able to hold it's own in a turn with the 109 and 190a8.  Beware of the a5 though, it can perform amazing vertical turns at a much lower minimum airspeed.  It also carries a mean punch with 4 cannon and 2 MG.  The F4u, P47, and Typhoon should also not be taken lightly.  They all can beat you in top speed under the right circumstances.  The F4u and Typhoon are incredible at low altitudes, while the P47 can stay right with a stang from about 20k on up.  Diving away from a p47 is also a bad idea.  Fortunately the p51, when loaded with 50% fuel or less, can hold it's own in a turn with the p47 and can easily turn with the Typhoon.  I have been having a terrible time with the zeros recently.  It seems they can force a HO at will, and even though you can probably kill them, they will almost always take off a wingtip, radiator, and/or the amazing paper rudder.

Another good piece of advice that is true for all E fighters is to use vertical manuvering when at all possible.  When forced to turn, make sure you use 1 notch of flaps.  Because of the p51s great range, I generally take a 50% fuel load and two drop tanks.  If I think that a fight may be nearby, I will drop one tank immediately and climb using a single DT.  (Make sure you trim out to keep from stalling when flying on 1 tank and when you release the tank.)  When the p51 gets to about 1/4 tank it can turn amazingly well with a notch of flaps for about 2 turns.  Beyond that, I'd say your options are to try to extend, or drop another notch of flaps and hope the other guy makes a mistake.  Sometimes I find that I can catch the other guy in an all-or-nothing diving turn and snapshot at close range.  Of course if you miss you will be at an E disadvantage and lower than the bogey.

Hope this helps a little.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS