Author Topic: joystick setup question  (Read 658 times)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
joystick setup question
« on: November 16, 2001, 01:06:00 AM »
I recently formatted and am having problems getting the joystick (Precision Pro) calibrated.  Pitch and rudder seems to work ok, but before the format, I had aileron control by twisting the stick.  Twisting the stick now does nothing.  Forward and back controls the elevators (pitch), and left and right controls the rudder and ailerons.  Throttle works ok.

Am I overlooking something, or is this the way it's supposed to be?  Seems like I could twist the stick before for small adjustments in yaw control.  Would greatly appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance guys.

Les
SC-Bama

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
joystick setup question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
First off, the side to side (y axis) of the joystick controls the ailerons. Twisty handle or pedals control rudder. Thats the standard setup at any rate.

As to your problems does windows see your stick correctly with all functions?

Have you recalibrated in Aces High?

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
joystick setup question
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
If you want to go into the joystick config in aces, goto the axis setup menu.

you should see your PPro listed as the only joystick available (other than mouse?). Anyhow, check that the Z axis on the controller is setup for yaw, and that the Y axis is setup only for aileron (roll).

Also make sure that the stick is calibrated and all the axis are working in aces. (the little box on the bottom left of the joystick setup screen shows your stick position, 1 line for each axis).

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
joystick setup question
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2001, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys Ghosth and Starbird.  Still can't get the twisty stick thing to work, but what the heck.  It probably doesn't make that much difference.  The only thing I really used it for was to scissor the plane to slow down for a rapid landing.  It did help a little for staying put behind an intended victim, or to help line up on the runway when landing.  I figure in reality, fighters didn't use that twisting stick business anyhow...so these settings just add to the game immersion.  :)

Thank you again for your help gentlemen. <S>

Les
SC-Bama

Offline Stiletto

• Zinc Member
      • http://flying-tigers.org
joystick setup question
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2001, 03:33:00 AM »
SC-Bama, the Precision Pro provides rudder control, by twisting the stick. Rudder is very important in a dogfight (at least it is for me). It's also handy for steering, once your wheels touch down on the runway.

I'm wondering if you remembered to calibrate the stick in control panel. If you did, and it's not working in AH, I recommend that you download and install the latest drivers for the stick from Microsoft's web site.

Stiletto

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
joystick setup question
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »
YO Bama

Are you running your sidewinder software with an active aces high profile? If not your missing out using all your buttons(8 instaed of 16.
 Also, in AH setup, assign the axis accordingly.And then calibrate it in AH. Thats all you should need to do.   :D

If you ain't got a profile Def or I can send ya one, and then you can fudge with it to your own preferences.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
joystick setup question
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2001, 07:47:00 AM »
Bama,
Open up the sidewinder software, edit your profile, and click on the tab on the top right corner that says "settings". You'll come to a screen where you can set the deadband _and set what the twist axis does_

It is most usual to use the twist for rudder, so you should check the "twist handle to rotate in game" box.

However:

While the sidewinder software is very easy to use, I've found that in my set up, at least, it contributes to nose bounce. Personaly, I get a much better, smoother response by _not_ using the sidewinder software, and getting used to using AH's built in stick mapper, which gives you many more button functions, and a much better control response.

You lose the "shift" button without the sidewinder software, but if you use the shift button to change stick sets, you get four sets of buttons ínstead of two.

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
joystick setup question
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by SC-Bama:
Still can't get the twisty stick thing to work,

for my Wingman i had to assign rudder to 'Rz-axis' in the stick setup, after that it worked ...

now if someone could tell me how to set up the throttle on my stick .. ??

Goner

Offline SC-Mutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://skeletoncrew.ww1sims.com/home
joystick setup question
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2001, 04:48:00 AM »
Bama and I spent quite some time on RW going over his JS settings in game and in windows.
While I was surprised that he'd never run the profiler, His gunnery and flying skill speak volumes as to why the rest of us might wanna sh*t can ours and try his way :))

As for the prb with his js, I believe that wear and tear have caused a wire to break in the handle.
When we checked all axes in windows, only x, and y were available in the calibration window. (Yup! had the right stick installed). Then we changed the function of the 'Z' or twist grip in the MS Prof activator from 'yaw' to 'roll' (their wording is too confusing), and re-checked it in win, and AH, The 'Y' [roll] had become the 'Z' [yaw], and now the roll function was missing. So, IMO, since software chked out in both the sim and windonts, It must be JS related. Que?

Thankee;
S!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
joystick setup question
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Well Bama, time for one of 2 options.

A Get out your tools & dive into that sidewinder, see if you can find the problem.

B Dig out the check book and go buy a new stick.