Author Topic: <S> Boeing, I suppose - 777-200LR rollout  (Read 771 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
<S> Boeing, I suppose - 777 rollout
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 12:56:22 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Speaking of paint, and as someone has posted a pic of a Lockheed C5 Galaxy a few posts up, I am reminded of a titbit of useless information: The weight of the paint on a C5 is equivalent to the weight of a Piper Commanche - forerunner to the Arrow (?).

Nexx - were you buzzed by planes from Conningsby and Finningley?

Before Finningley closed we'd get training aircraft in the area, probably visiting Cranwell.  As for Coningsby we didn't get that many purely because they were on rapid reaction standby.  You'd occasionally get the odd diversion Phantom/Tornado F.3.  Of course you'd be guaranteed to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight fly over at least 10 times a year.  You could hear the Merlin engines from miles away!  Within 50 miles of where I lived you had Cottesmore, Wittering, Cranwell, Waddington, Scampton, Syerston, Barkston Heath, Wyton, Alconbury, Coningsby, not forgetting the non-flying RAF bases (several).  Then just outside that area you'd get Marham, Honington, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Binbrook etc.  I wish it was how it was in the mid/late 80s, loads of aircraft and active airfields!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:09:43 AM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 03:36:12 AM »
nexx

I remember visiting Binbrook in the early 80's many times when they still had the Lightning in service.

That sure was a site to see (and hear), some great viewing areas too. Conningsby had easy access also but Mildenhall (USAF) had a purpose built viewing area, can you believe it !

I remember being  invited on to Upper Heyford (USAF) by an American serviceman for an evening drinking, It was another world. Compared to the UK services the Americans were spoilt rotten  ;)

wipass

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 05:20:20 AM »
The Lightnings at Binbrook were incredibly impressive!  I really miss those days!

Incidently, Binbrook was used for the filming of Memphis Belle in 1990!

NEXX