Author Topic: Are We What We Drive?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Sitting in the garage is a 2003 Subaru WRX that only goes out on nice days. It has just over 8,000 miles on it.

Sorry, but I had to give a reply on that. A WRX 2003 with only 8.000 miles on the clock!!! That's downright criminal! It can hardly have been run in properly, how can you enjoy such a machine when you can't even trash it yet?

Sorry, my frustration, I lust after that car :D Problem is that I can (just) afford one, but if you know what petrol costs here and what the insurance quote was, you'll understand why I haven't got one. Maybe just as well, with the German autobahn just 30km away I would kill myself within a week. Geronimo!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
Sorry, but I had to give a reply on that. A WRX 2003 with only 8.000 miles on the clock!!! That's downright criminal! It can hardly have been run in properly, how can you enjoy such a machine when you can't even trash it yet?

Sorry, my frustration, I lust after that car :D Problem is that I can (just) afford one, but if you know what petrol costs here and what the insurance quote was, you'll understand why I haven't got one. Maybe just as well, with the German autobahn just 30km away I would kill myself within a week. Geronimo!

Three years ago I sold my Shelby GLHS (220 hp 2.5 liter turbo motor from Dodge Spirit R/T replaced 175 hp 2.2 liter a few years prior). I wanted to replace it with something as fast and hopefully far more civil. We also sold our rental condo, so we had some extra cash. I was somewhat disappointed that the WRX, while plenty fast, was less capable than the Shelby. The GLHS was nothing less than a street-legal road racer, able to beat up most of the high-end sports machines I would encounter. In comparison, the WRX simply doesn't have that "edge" to its personality. It's not nearly as precise and tends to wallow much more at the limits, which are noticably lower than the Shelby's. However, it is more comfortable, much quieter and considerably more reliable than the GLHS. Oh, and it has a warranty to boot.

I am not gentle with my cars. I drive them hard. My Aerio SX gets a good workout every day. With a 145 hp 2.0 liter engine dragging around just 2,600 pounds, performance is respectable (0-60 in 7.9 seconds). From 2004 on the power is up to 155 hp, and 0-60 is two tenths faster at 7.7 seconds. According to Suzuki, a Supercharger kit will be available within the next year, pushing power up to 195 and 205 hp respectively. But, at a cost of $2,300. That would mean 0-60 times in the mid to lower 6 second range. A suspension kit would really help, but Suzuki hasn't announced that as of yet. Since there is little aftermarket hardware available, the factory will likely be the only source for this. Suzuki races a factory Aerio in hillclimbs. About the only thing this 850 hp, all-wheel drive monster shares with the street car is the name. Considering Suzuki's success in motorcycle racing, I am hoping that their car division begins showing more interest in high performance autos. Suzuki really hasn't figured out how to market cars in the USA yet either. In terms of quality and performance, the Aerio SX is the equal of the Mazda 3, but it is simply ignored in their advertising, with them pushing the uninspiring Reno and Forenza. Likewise, the gorgeous Verona (styled by Ital-design, as are all Suzukis) is stuck being powered by a 155 hp, 2.5 liter inline 6. Suzuki has developed a 255 hp version, punched out to 3.0 liters, but that is not planned to be imported to North America.

So, why do we own 4 Suzukis? Price. The Aerio SX offers just three options. Automatic Tranny, all-wheel drive and ABS. Everything else is standard. Buy almost any other car and you will have to pay extra for power windows, mirrors, A/C, remote entry, 6 CD changer (with 6 speakers and sub-woofer), cruise control, driving lamps, rear wiper and defogger, Alloy wheels, high performance Yokohama tires, map lights, under rear deck storage, 8 way adjustable driver's seat and much more. A comparibly equipped Mazda 3 will cost $20k. But the Suzuki sells for just $16k, and includes a fully transferable 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Reliability is as good as any Japanese manufacturer (my only issue has been a squeeky sunvisor). Suzukis don't use timing belts that require replacement every 60,000 miles. They use a quad row chain that never requires adjustment or replacement.

In addition to the above, Suzuki offered a neat, but brief loyalty discount program, meaning that the more Suzukis you own, the bigger the discount for the next one. Currently, the discount is reduced to $500, regardless of how many you own. You can get another $500 off if you are active duty military or a college student.

Once Suzuki figures out the American market, they will become a major player.

By the way, that Kadett looks great! They were common here in the US 30+ years ago. I always liked the styling. A friend had a 1970 Kadett coupe. We drove it in a bunch of TSD type road rallys.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:14:25 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »
Here's mine.  1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed.

0-60 in 5.9s.
Top speed: 144mph.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2005, 02:12:18 PM »
Hi Widewing,

Although I adore cars and know a lot about them, the Shelby you mention is completely unknown to me, I'll do some research. The Subaru is much loved in Europe, especially England. They drive on the left (like the Japanese) so they have a lot of hi-power and modified versions there. Your Suzuki is called the Liana here, but your choice of engines and mods amazes me! Situation is so much different here, with congested roads and much higher taxes on transport. I don't like to admit it, but there's probably no alternative in areas so densely populated as the Netherlands...

Glad you like the Kadett, bit surprised you know the car. There's really nothing special about it, apart form the fact that it is my very first car and that I'm only the third owner (bought it form the daughter in law of the late first owner in fact). Had the bodywork restored, mechanicals are completely original. Sadly I don't have the skills to do the restauration myself. Hardly drive it really, afraid it might get wet... but a professional rustproofing job is about to be planned.

My daily transport is unknown in the USA, a Fiat Marea weekend. Its an estate/stationwagon about the size of a Ford Focus. Despite prejudices about Italian quality (Fiat still has a very poor reputation) it is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing special of course, but reliable and economical. I drive quite a lot so I have one on LPG (which is probably more expensive here than petrol in the USA) 213.000km and still counting. For my next car I would like to have something more exciting but anything with a bit of power is so expensive to insure and run, it's no fun anymore. So I'm looking for something, small, yet very refined and economical with a powerful engine. Maybe a modern turbo diesel is the way to go. I like the new Mini, but the diesel is not sold over here.

Regards,

Ronald

Offline Wurger

• Copper Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2005, 02:25:24 PM »
Two cars here:  

1)  1967 MGB Roadster
2)  2001 Audi A4

Both are used about equally...

In AH2 I fly:
1)  Fw190
2)  Bf109
3) Spit

Does seem somewhat coincidental ;-)

Bazi
Bazi
The Flying Circus

Offline T1loady

• Copper Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2005, 03:01:58 PM »
I have a 2005 quadcab Ram 1500.  And yea, it has a HEMI.  STS Turbo on the way!!!!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
Hi Widewing,

Although I adore cars and know a lot about them, the Shelby you mention is completely unknown to me, I'll do some research.

I wanted to by one in 1986 after reading an article in Hotrod magazine, where the GLHS clobbered the legendary Mustang GT-350 in side by side testing. I still have the magazine. I couldn't find one as only 500 were made. So, I bought a new , less powerful GLH Turbo instead. The GLHS had 175 hp, the GLH Turbo made 146 hp. Aftermarket goodies (freeflow exhaust, high performance chip, upgraded turbo w/intercooler) brought the power up to around 170 hp. Koni adjustable struts, larger, adjustable anti-roll bars and a tire upgrade made that GLH Turbo every bit as potent as the GLHS. But it still lacked the exclusivity of the GLHS and cost me $4,000 dollars more than a GLHS to equal it. So, years later, when I found one for sale, I jumped on it. It needed a lot of attention as it had been beat on quite a bit.

I have some photos I could scan in, but there's some on the web too. Most, and maybe all GLHS' were painted black. I repainted mine metalic blue after the black began to peel (typical Chrysler problem). I removed all the badges as well.

Here's what a new one looked like:

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2005, 06:19:00 PM »
Heh, the Dodge Omni 4-door hatchback family.  Had one of those too.  Excellent versatile ride that even with stock 2.2 was no slouch.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2005, 07:06:25 PM »
My wife and I both drive large RWD V-8 sedans.  Hers is a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis.   Mine is a '95 Buick Roadmaster.

The Buick makes the Mercury seem like a toy, and has about 100 more HP too.  I wish they still built them.

I despise any and all small cars, and I don't much care for SUV's too (if you don't offroad--and most SUV owners don't--there is nothing a SUV can do that a wagon can't do much, much better).

J_A_B

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I wanted to by one in 1986 after reading an article in Hotrod magazine, where the GLHS clobbered the legendary Mustang GT-350 in side by side testing.

Ahhh, now I get an idea! That car was known as the Simca/Talbot Horizon in Europe (yes, it IS French :D). Before they sold it to Peugeot, Chrysler owned that company. Funny thing is that they sold some American versions here too, like the mentioned Dodge Omni. I remember seeing one every day on my trip to high school when I was young. Never known they had 'hot' versions of it, again they were probably never sold in my country. And you claim it was better than an Impreza?  Makes me wonder what the spec of a WRX is over there. The WRX in standard form here has 215 hp with four wheel drive and is easily modded to 280 or so. Even the Germans grudgingly admit it is one of the sharpest cars around. Saw one chase a 911 through my hometown once, first the rasp of the 911, then the 4 cylinder boxer with that typical wheezing sound of the turbo and the pssshhh of the wastegate when he shifted gear. Joy. :aok
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 08:40:28 PM by hogenbor »

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2005, 01:40:27 AM »
Originally posted by VWE
Jeep makes the Rubicon not Honda...

It's an ATV (Honda Rubicon)...not a Jeep Wrangler package.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Are We What We Drive?
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2005, 02:29:30 AM »
:( Dang ... its snowing again today...

I am a spy!