Author Topic: Apple to switch to Intel processors  (Read 1353 times)

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Apple to switch to Intel processors
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2005, 06:21:59 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
I use D-link, 3com and SMC.

All work fine for me, but then im not a professional user either.

-edit- only product i havent liked was an ASUS wifi router. It has won some awards but i "just didnt like it"

D-link were very popular overhere. but later on, they somehow Fubared support and nobody buy them now. Specialy wireless products.

I had few SMC and its nice substitution for Dlink.

I doubt if there is any profesional user of Wifi routers ;)

Reliable and cheap stuff for home use is also made by Ovislink or Linksys. (ohh now im sorry vulcan linksys is crappy cisco w/o performance, we already know it, so please do not comment  on this). Ovis is fine, untill you have no problems with power suply. Once your voltage or freq. change a bit, it hangs. I didnt have sutch problems with Linksys yet.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2005, 07:42:39 AM »
Originally posted by lada
D-link were very popular overhere. but later on, they somehow Fubared support and nobody buy them now. Specialy wireless products.

I had few SMC and its nice substitution for Dlink.

I doubt if there is any profesional user of Wifi routers ;)

Reliable and cheap stuff for home use is also made by Ovislink or Linksys. (ohh now im sorry vulcan linksys is crappy cisco w/o performance, we already know it, so please do not comment  on this). Ovis is fine, untill you have no problems with power suply. Once your voltage or freq. change a bit, it hangs. I didnt have sutch problems with Linksys yet.

I have no problems with Linksys eithter, we had them at universty (dont think they were part of cisco then tho) when i was on the support staff there. Didnt use routers tho, only accesspoints and bridges. with novell.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2005, 08:19:01 AM »
Cisco bought Linksys ... some 2 years ago or so.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2005, 08:21:42 AM »
Cisco bought Linksys ... some 2 years ago or so.

then i havent used them since that.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
then i havent used them since that.

its loong time, since you were fired from the university isnt it ? :D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:02 AM »
its loong time, since you were fired from the university isnt it ? :D

lol.. i finished in 2000 :)

part time job there the last 2 years showing the new students how to use the network and refilling printers etc etc. bad pay (15$) an hour, but the perks were good.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:41:34 AM by Nilsen »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2005, 01:31:05 PM »
No i didnt know that IBM have same process for PowerPC as they have for AMD.  
Could you explain more about this ?

Is it realted to current AMD production ?
Yes they do. The IBM process was adopted about 5 or 6 years ago. I think IBM started making processor for AMD about 4 years ago in a foundry capacity... along with transferring the process over to the plant in Dresden. Basically, a process is just a sequence of steps used to build the chip. IBM is having serious problems with the 90nanometer process. This is why Apple dumped them. I've heard rumors that they haven't been able to sell a decent laptop since the G3 processor was wrapped up. This is what I've heard from people in the know over here at Intel and someone from IBM agreed that's what he'd heard over there (Both in the first 15 posts in this thread).
I also noted, that they speak about mobile CPUs in the report, but didnt find any comparation of mobile CPUs.
You mean comparison? There really isn't any comparing them right now. For power consumption and battery time, nothing comes close to the Intel mobile processors. I've heard 45 watts from the Apple/AMD offerings as compared to 22 watts from the Intel stuff. Mobile computing is what Intel deams the future of computing.  From the handheld to the laptop.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »
You must be freaking ritch, if you know whats best for those, who didnt even tell you their demans.  You probably never heard that things should be use for purpose, whitch they fit well, did you ?

Since you keen on your statements, w/o any need of discusion, i think we can leave "this is better you dumb !!!" dialog. You can keep your, cisco=crap dream.

Im just thinking if some of cisco switches has fallen on your foot when you were small boy.... because usualy when people have some problem with something, they can name it.... like poor performance with packets under 256 bytes, or crappy http management based on java...... but you simply rock and cisco simply sux.... yeah ...

LOL... you do know that Foundry, Juniper, Netscree, Allied Telesyn and Sonicwall product generally cost less (or the same). I'm not going write a 4 page brief on why Cisco switches are crap because of their varying codebase and low switch fabric, or why Cisco routers are crap because throuput is low and functionality like MPLS is broken, or why PIX firewalls are crap because they don't do IDP or proper zoning among many many other things.