Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2005, 01:27:31 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
There's an old story about a guy with a flat outside a nut house.

He's changing the tire, has the lugnuts in the hubcap. A nutcase is hanging on the fence, drooling, blubbering, making small sounds. Gets the guy kinda nervous. He steps on the edge of the hubcap, lug nuts go flyin into the tall weeds.

The guy's stumped.. middle of 'nowhere' outside a nutfarm, flat tire, good spare but no lugnuts. The nutcase says in a level tone of voice, 'take one nut from each of the other three wheels.. that'll getcha into town.'

The guys thinks for a second, sez, 'hey.. that'll work... good idea.' Then he asks the looney why he's in a nutfarm.

"I'm crazy. Not stupid."

wow that's pretty much a metaphor for my entire day.  Thanks.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2005, 01:27:37 AM »
Sorry, didn't see the part of the nut getting rounded.
Go to your nearest tire/wheel garage and have them airhammer that bad lugnut off. Takes all of about 2 minutes.

In the future, find out what the factory torque is and stick with it, use a bit of antisieze grease on the threads as well. Don't worry, your wheels will not fall off.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline bong

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Tips please
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2005, 01:38:19 AM »
I hate it when that happens nothing more frustrating than not a stuck nut.

;)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2005, 02:53:29 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
See... it's not Karma. It's Khrysler. ;)

you sure it isnt chevy? :D
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Tips please
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2005, 03:35:08 AM »
I have laid alot of times under my old beetle.

my advice go to the garage let em balance ur wheels for 10 dollar or so and give em ur new bolts.

No fun without good tools.

As we say "a good tool is half the work".

:)

Offline whizwheel

• Zinc Member
18mm 6 point socket 1/2in drive.
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2005, 03:59:57 AM »
Here's the way I have been doing those since I was 13.

Get something heavy, I use an 8 inch piece of keystock. but anything like a short fat punch.  Place whatever you get on three sides of the nut and strike it sharply with your hammer.  I use an 8 pound shop hammer.  Hit it three or four times from each angle.  Then put the 18mm socket on it and the impact should spin it right off.

Whizwheel

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Tips please
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »
All this talk of flames and nutbusters has my teenage brain confused, disoriented, and slightly scared....
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tips please
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2005, 07:19:46 AM »
If you got such bad luck with cars, go out and get a bike instead! :lol;)

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 08:29:41 AM »
flaming wd-40 is not nearly as effective as a 10 dollar burns-a-matic and way more dangerous.  You might want to cut right to the solution instead of hacking your way into the emergency room.  Just do the job right or take it somewhere and pay someone else.

Try this,

Penetrating oil

use the burns-a-matic to heat the lug then get a proper wrench on it quick.  The heat will expand the nut faster than the lug.

These 2 will almost always work after a try or 2.

If you already destroyed the lug beyond use then either drill it off or go pay someone else to do it.

When you put it all back together use grease on the lugs to ensure you never have to waste this much time again on an unnecessary task.

storch

Tips please
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »
if you haven't solved it yet, go buy some PB Blaster spray the lugs and wait a few maybe two beers worth.  then get a breaker bar and a lenght of 1-3/8" OD pipe (1-1/4") about 2-3' long.  apply your 220lbs to it.