Author Topic: Some things I put together for CRS.  (Read 1047 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Some things I put together for CRS.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Yes Vulcan, I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

Played it online for 1 1/2 weeks, haven't touched it since.  Needs a some real work done for online gameplay.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
Dowding, I like the people over here, and you just may notice that I don't post about AH current, only the past when I flew it(unless I am joking, as above).

The code is buggy, so the fark what, any program of this degree of complexity is buggy, including AH.  Go visit the bug forum of ANY game my friend.  It works for many, like 1800+ on one server, so I tend to believe that most problems are client side.  Not all, but most.  Kind of like the "I can't exit a dead vehicle using shift-esc" bug.  Well, Duh!, try waiting 14 seconds until your dead vehicle stops.  That type of "bug" is very prevalent, along with the true bugs.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
Its a fun game, but the Rats have some SERIOUS issues with priority.

One would think that infantry weapons (being the most glaring thing I can think of), that were broke during the beta, would be a very high priority considering their importance.

Old bugs are being ignored, time is being wasted on none priority issues, and for every new feature, more and more bugs are being introduced and rarely worked on. To top all that off PR totally sucks right now. And they are making their beta testers look like incompetant baffoons, regardless of oh much testing is being done, because they aren't fixing much (if any) of what is being reported...

At the rate they are going they will never come close to breaking even.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Jigster ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
quick reminder: WW2 infantry teams and tanks did NOT have radios to communicate with aircraft or with other support units UNLESS they had a team of naval/artillery/air corps spotter/observer with them during the fight.

I think its a GOOD idea to not let every individual be able to have starfleet communicators stitched to their asses.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »
I do have to say that those rose colored glasses fit you oh so well Gadfly.

Anyone who wants something to work bad enough can get it to do so, even if it means they have fill in the cracks and gaps with thier imagination to make it feel whole and good.

WW2O is the online universe's Wednesday Child. Kudos for the those who can get it to run smooth and nice - even with boxes that far surpass the recommended specs. They're the minority.

Westy

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
Actually Gadfly, 90% of the time I die I exit a vehicle and it is still rolling, so that is not the cause of the 'shift-esc' bug.

I wonder what the player turnover is on that 1800 person server you describe. There might be plenty of people getting CTD'd etc, but because of the size of the player base, an equilibrium of sorts is reached.

WW2OL was shipped in a shocking state - you can't get away from that. I'm pretty sure that it would actually be illegal to ship a product in such a way in this country. They're pretty hot on that kind of thing over here - fraudulent advertising is very hard to get away with, especially when the product is so widely available. The bugs would of course be irrelevant in this case, but the missing features would be very hard to defend.

Tac - individual infantrymen didn't carry personal radios, but that's still modelled in the game. Surely that's just as unrealistic?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
Yeah, Dowding it shipped very poorly.  Before I D/Led the big patch it was totally unplayable, period.

After the patch, few problems with what is there, but I doubt anyone would argue that what is there is what is promised.  I still have a lot of fun, though, no way around that.

Westy, I would rather wear rose colored glasses than walk around with those toejam-colored ones you seem to wear, anyday.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
lol. <shakes head>  Like,  fer sure.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
What I can't understand is how a company can get away with what Strategy First did. I would have thought that some kind of Trading Standards body would be informed of the situation, and at least looked into the issues arising.

Can you imagine a DVD being shipped with a cover that stated the contents included a pile of extra footage and Dolby Surround support etc, and in fact you got a gog-standard version dubbed in mono? It simply wouldn't be tolerated.

WW2OL was fun at first, but the bugs really spoilt the whole experience for me.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Westy, here is my "Review" of the Game, check it out and you will see that these rose colored classes have some toejam colored bifocals as well.  You can also get an idea of why I have so much fun.

http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw//Forum7/HTML/001835.html