Author Topic: Man i am stressed.  (Read 358 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Man i am stressed.
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
so here i am 30 days away from the contract expiring at the client site i work at.... no word if they are going to renew, nada. totally in the dark.

i have no control over it, no matter how well i do my job, no matter how many fleece pullovers i am given as gifts from clients on special jobs i do, no matter how many free lunches i am given for a job well done, nothing can control the mega corporation i work for.

wehn that corporation can not do their billing correctly, and have sales reps that are totally incompetent, and a new director of the client comes in who doesnt like "XYZ corp" i am basically screwed.

i dont have a great skill set, but am quite good at what i do. i am quite goood at alot of things, but i am pigeon holed as far as just going out for another job. i have 7+ years in, numerous accolades in my employee record, yet 6 months ago i was looking for a part time job to supplement my income, i couldn't even get a call back from home depot.

so along comes a friend who offers me a chance at a job...

why am i even hesitant? well, rent goes up in 60 days, i am already in very big financial trouble, and the new job would be a somewhat significant pay decrease, along with added expense of driving over triple the distance to work, paying for parking, and no discounted cafeteria every day.

the writing is one the wall i am out of my current position in 30-60 days, but who knows. they may keep just me and what i do and ditch the other part of the contract. if not XYZ corp will maybe fold me into some lamer position i have no control over. they could send me to 3rd shift at a location that is lamost 2 hours away 1 way commute. if i say no, well then i am out of a job.

**** me i am really stressed out about this. i have thought about a ton of possibilities, and they are no easy answers. sorry just had to vent.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »
Polish your resume, and spend a week spamming it. See what other options you have before you stress too hard. A great job could be 5 minutes away, but you're not gonna know if you don't look.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
Mustaine maybe it would help to think of some 'worst case' possibilites and make some contingency plans, just in case.

One thing I think is very effective is to get physically active by running, swimming or playing some kind of sport like squash, tennis or something that is going to tire you out. I'm not sure why, but it takes the edge of for me sometimes and I sleep better.

For me, the worst thing I can do is just to stress about something and do nothing to resolve it.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Re: Man i am stressed.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:55:47 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
why am i even hesitant? well, rent goes up in 60 days, i am already in very big financial trouble, and the new job would be a somewhat significant pay decrease, along with added expense of driving over triple the distance to work, paying for parking, and no discounted cafeteria every day.

Move closer to the new job.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »
Ah a fellow convic....errr contractor! :D

Actually, I should say ex-fellow, as those in-between-contracts gap have me finaly gone bonkers, and I started a new business. Don't go there... it's been almost two months, and I haven't slept yet since. (well, ok... but not much).

I wish you luck in your endeavour... may St Contract be with you!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
tell your boss you have had a better job offer and don't know what to decide. your boss will say "don't go , i'll give you a pay raise" or " take the new job, was going to lay you off anyway"

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Move closer to the new job.
where do i get the money for the new security deposit, and moving expenses? what about the money to get out of my current lease?

Originally posted by john9001
tell your boss you have had a better job offer and don't know what to decide. your boss will say "don't go , i'll give you a pay raise" or " take the new job, was going to lay you off anyway"
it's not a "better" job offer by far, but it is better than being unemployed. he just gave me a big raise last month also. also he has no say in what the client does. they don't renew, im SOL no matter what he thinks or wants.

Saintaw.. thanks ;)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »
Take a dump and a nap. Rinse and repeat 5 times. You should feel somewhat less stressed.

Anyways, Best of Luck Sir. Not much coming from a voice over the internet. But its the most I can offer.

BlueJ
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »
Well, you are going to have to bite the bullet somewhere. A friend of mine left the post office about five years ago, automation was cutting alot of the clerk jobs and he was stuck on the overnight shift with middle of the week nights off(have to work weekends, not to mention getting forced in on the holidays), which was going to be his fate for years to come. He made the bold move of leaving and joining the local 103(electrician union). He took a cut in pay to start off(starting as a grunt), a good size cut in pay(I think he started at $15.00/hour). But the union sent him to their school twice a week at night and he got raises every six months. It was tough the first three years, but he is now up to $26.00 an hour and when he gets his license next year he jumps to $35.00

What I am trying to say is that it may be a good idea to learn a trade, plumber, HVAC, carpenter, electrician, whatever. It is something you could always fall back on if you need work.

Good luck.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Man i am stressed.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »
well it's official

7 ****ing years down the dumper with xerox. Client just came to me and "secretly" introduced me to the competitor that will be taking over next month.

what i am pissed the most about is losing all the senority, vacation, benefits, and stuff. add the fact now on lease, or credit apps i have to say i have been at my job less than a year.

life sucks, then it takes a **** on you.