Author Topic: Wildlife Art  (Read 772 times)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Wildlife Art
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »
Anyone in here collect it?

Do you own any? Limited edition prints or just prints? If you have any who are your favorite artists and why?

I have just started to get into this. It is totally fascinating to me.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:50:37 AM »
I had a couple original pencils from this guy when he was just hitting it big in San Diego (maybe 20 yrs ago).  I doubt I have them or if I do, they're probably not in good shape.  Wyland.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=saltaquarium&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wylandstudiostore.com%2F

He went all commercial and I guess hit it big in the so-cal way of things, but some of his early stuff was really gorgeous and simple.

I went to a wildlife art store in La Jolla...  We're talking thousands of bucks for originals and limited prints, but it was all the sort of stuff you expect to see hanging on the walls of multi-million dollar mansions.  I can't remember who was the feature artist at the time but it was very interesting.  And expensive.  I was scared I'd ruin the floor by walking on it, or the air by breathing, and would have to buy something because I'd ruined it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:55:13 AM »
I also had one of this guy's posters but I ripped it and threw it out.

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=Bob+Talbot+art&mode=about_saltaquarium

It's artsy photography...

Oh yea did I mention I was REALLY into the ocean thing growing up? :)  I took a marine biology class at Scripps Institute of Oceanography when I was a kid, and it was probably the most fun course I've ever had in my life.  I discovered airplanes a year later so I switched careers but if I didn't live right next to NAS Miramar I probably would have gone into marine biology instead of computers and military flying.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »
Eagl I don't think you have to be a multi millionare to collect art.

Good art is an investment. You can collect it and enjoy it and it can be like a stock fund. There for your future.

Having said that I would be very careful about buying prints or any other mass produced art as an investment.

Those early sketches from that artist might be worth something some day. You should try and find them.

I have become facinated by the art of Charles Frace. He was an American wildlife artist. Probably the best wildlife artist ever. I saw a couple of his paintings and then started to read about him.

I recently found out that one of his original paintings (Gryfalcon) went at auction for only $6,000. This is the original that the prints were made from. An incredible bargan to whoever bought it.

Offline sNiPeR

• Zinc Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »
I collect it

I have alot of Michael Glenn Monroe..A local artist here in Michigan.

I always get Artist Proofs and always have him do a small sketch on the papaer on back with a autograph.

Also have a few originals

I mostley get wolves,but also have a great Wolerine,lynx,and snowshoe rabbit one.

his website

I have the bottem 5 on this page in matted n canvas

my pics
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:21:23 PM by sNiPeR »

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 03:10:39 PM »
You should see what the original painting costs. I am amazed people will pay some artists upto $2000 for an Artist Proof which is basically a print with a fancy name when they could buy the original painting for 20,000. Af far as investment potential goes the painting would be the best potential.

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:55:17 PM »
Not a real big art fan myself but there is a fellow named Terry Redlin who is rather well know in this neck of the woods, my family has a couple of his prints.  His underwater fish paintings are remarkable.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
There are a lot of great wildlife artists, like the one who paints animals that blend in perfectly with their surroundings -- of course I can't remember the artist's name ... duh!

Try Googling for Showcase or the Greenwich Workshop which used to have some nice catalogs including works by Scott Kennedy, Charles Wysocki, Rod Frederick, Bonnie Marris, and Simon Combes.

Another favorite is the painter of ocean scenes showing unlikely assemblies of impressive critters in stunning backlighting (sorry, can't remember his name either, but might be Wyland or in Wyland Galleries).  

But lots of searching trying various key words (e.g., wildlife paintings)should get you into the areas you want.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:52:24 AM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
I believe the best wildlife artist of all times was Charles Frace. He is dead now and only produced about 150 paintings in his lifetime. But his technical skill was simply unbelievable.

I am actively looking to buy an original of his. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.

Offline sNiPeR

• Zinc Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »
I have been looking for a painting I saw years ago.Its a P-40 Warhawk I believe with a Flying Tigers Shark mouth,But its a pic of it at the bottem of the ocean crashed,props bents back,but it was a really nice painting and never seen it again.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »
The wildlife artist I was trying to think of who exquisitely blends animals into the background is Bev Doolittle.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »
I don't collect wildlife art, but I've got one that I'm pleased with.  If I were to obtain any in the future, it would be by the same artist: Fred Machetanz.
TMom
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
I have a autographed litho of a "Liger" (thats a cross bewtween a Lion and a Tiger).
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Wildlife Art
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 03:08:03 PM »
What's the difference between a Liger and a Tion?