Author Topic: E.T. iPhone home :)  (Read 858 times)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
E.T. iPhone home :)
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
huh? ... sorta like a telephone only without a wire? :huh

there also a poor choice for knocking out intruders.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »
Why do people camp for 4 days in front of a store when my 2 year old dinosaur seems to provide the same functionalities?  ... what's so revolutionary about it that I don't know about? It's surely not the price.

Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 06:09:41 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Awkward?  It's not awkward, it's very straight forward.  It works on all of the capacitance touch screens I have, I wonder if the iPhone is really different.

Could be something new, remember this is one of those new touchies that detects multiple contacts, so I'm not sure how it works exactly.

You do have to be firm with your touches, and you can't use your fingernails (or gloves).  At the same time, the multi-touch screen works best if your hands are clean and dry; if you've got oily skin, plan on washing your hands a lot to get the best experience with the iPhone.  If your hands aren't clean/dry you'll find that the gestures don't always react exactly how you'd like them to, the device is still usable but there's a measurable difference between using it with clean/dry hands vs. oily hands.  

from here: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3027&p=5
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:15:15 PM by Vulcan »

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
Maybe Apple does better in marketting their products?

Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
Why do people camp for 4 days in front of a store when my 2 year old dinosaur seems to provide the same functionalities?  ... what's so revolutionary about it that I don't know about? It's surely not the price.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 06:15:48 PM »
I know im prolly just being noid, but having windows on my cellphone too kinda gives me the creeps;) Windows Mobile 6 is supposed to be really good, but it doesnt make me feel good to have it on such an important thing as my phone. The Nokia Series 60 is not wihout its faults either, but atlast its not Mircrosoft trying to get control of one more part of your life :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
Yeah a guy I used to work with had to switch from a PalmOS Treo to a WindowsOS Treo, he hated it, it just wasn't as well designed a solution.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:46 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Well if using it requires some special awkward technique then it can't be too convenient in the end now can it?

Nokia N95 provides 10x more functions (including 3G) and with conventional buttons too. HSPDA (3x3G speed) caller independent hands-free call functions.. 5Mpixel camera..

All iphone has is design. Not a strong win even there tho.

More functions yes, but the N95 build quality is not the best ive seen and for the money you have to part with to get the N95 you should expect better. The N95 has GPS but it has performed poorly in tests.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:09:55 AM by Nilsen »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 01:19:40 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Awkward?  It's not awkward, it's very straight forward.  It works on all of the capacitance touch screens I have, I wonder if the iPhone is really different.

If the method I described is too complicated for you, then perhaps you're right, maybe a phone with buttons _is_ the right answer.

Edit: Hold on a second here....

This seems at odds with your post immediately above describing the virtues of the $700 Nokia N95.  Explain?

You're right, I'd never buy a N95 myself. I have the 9300 communicator now and I never use any of its functions (except GPS which is really good). All those extra functions do is complicate the phone in the end. But if you want a friggin TOY instead of a phone, N95 beats iphone hands tied.

Benefon Io is still the most convenient phone I ever owned. Every function was instant fast and it had the best word interpreter for text messages I've yet seen 10 years after.

I used it for 3 years, droped it several times. My kid drueled saliva on it enough to temporarily disable it. I got so pissed off that I threw the phone 5m away on the grass. The phone has sat unused in the desk for another few years but it still works like new.. except for the battery which no longer holds charge. In retrospect I should have bought 10 replacement batteries to the phone instead of 'upgrading' it. No phone after that has come close in ease of use and comfort.

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »
w00t? the 9300 communicator has GPS now? Have they fixted the rest of it? Last time i tried it it was the slowest phone on the market by a huge margin

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 01:44:18 AM »
w00t? the 9300 communicator has GPS now? Have they fixted the rest of it? Last time i tried it it was the slowest phone on the market by a huge margin

The slowness is there and I hate it. Luckyly that doesn't matter much as I never use any of the functions anyway. But the GPS is third party and it works great. It needs an external GPS bluetooth device and a software on memorycard in order to work. I use Navicore GPS. It works great in finland and it can even show you the locations of the automatic speed traps on the road (warns 500 meters before you drive to the trap).

The only reason I accepted to take the communicator for work was because at the time it had the largest display available for GPS use.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 01:45:25 AM »
ah i see..

Have you had the chase to test the E90 yet?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 02:46:30 AM »
ah i see..

Have you had the chase to test the E90 yet?

Not personally but I've seen it in use. It seems ok I guess.. for a toy phone. :cool:

I'm thinking if I should start hunting for a replacement battery for that Io..

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Yeah a guy I used to work with had to switch from a PalmOS Treo to a WindowsOS Treo, he hated it, it just wasn't as well designed a solution.

It was the reverse for me, I went thru 3 Treos before I switched to this one. I has much more options, the Treo just kept freezing ... all 3 of them :mad:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
As a wise man  said so eloquently.

"There's a Sucker born every minute."

I have a Sync....does exactly what I need it to do.  Communicate.
- The Flying Circus -