Author Topic: E.T. iPhone home :)  (Read 967 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
E.T. iPhone home :)
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070701/wr_nm/iphone_dc

.........or he may not be able to if he has a hammer.
Never ceases to amaze me.
I think you could safely say that the competition will take care of this task for you. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
Iphone sucks.. touch screen loses its curiosity value in 5 minutes and gets damaged in 10.

A phone is for placing calls, if it's trying to be something else someone's fooling themselves.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Iphone sucks.. touch screen loses its curiosity value in 5 minutes and gets damaged in 10.

A phone is for placing calls, if it's trying to be something else someone's fooling themselves.

Just asking a question here but do you have one and are you speaking from personal experience? I am not saying one way or the other but IF you did then you have a right to complain about it and you also have a RECEIPT that guarantees you to getting a new one or at least BlTCHING loud enough to get your money back.

I would like to have one but I will wait on Version 2 and since I have not had any trouble with the service from Cingular/AT&T on my current phone its not going to be a problem staying with them for me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:46:12 AM »
pcworld.com gave it some abuse by dropping it on various surfaces and scratching it with keys and they were very impressed by how much it could take without even making a mark in the screen. Sorta impressed me to see that too as i was pretty sure it would be very fragile.

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html?tk=synd_macworld

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Just asking a question here but do you have one and are you speaking from personal experience? I am not saying one way or the other but IF you did then you have a right to complain about it and you also have a RECEIPT that guarantees you to getting a new one or at least BlTCHING loud enough to get your money back.

I would like to have one but I will wait on Version 2 and since I have not had any trouble with the service from Cingular/AT&T on my current phone its not going to be a problem staying with them for me.

Err.. how could I have one as I don't even want it? :lol

I've seen reviews of it that were enough to convince me to steer clear of it. Touchscreen looks fancy and bling bling but in practise it sucks, trust me.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Err.. how could I have one as I don't even want it? :lol

I've seen reviews of it that were enough to convince me to steer clear of it. Touchscreen looks fancy and bling bling but in practise it sucks, trust me.

That's exactly right....There are millions of people who can't stand the iPhone after they stood in line for hours if not days to get one...(They are truly dumb a**es in my view) but that was just a stupid statement. You reading reviews are not the be all, end all definition of the success or failure in your mind of a device. I suppose you helped develop the iPhone and you know the device like the back of your hand. While you were at it you told Steve Jobs at the employee town meeting where he gave everyone at Apple an 8GB version for free that he could stuff his phone up his rear.

I can live without it but as I said I would like to have one but I am going to wait on the next version. I don't want a Blackberry, Treo or any other "smart phone" on the market to date. Just so you know the loud voices you are hearing is just a few of the vocal MINORITY that governs everything in the world today. An old truism that holds a lot of fact here is that you will not hear about the good things but only the bad and that is hyped up by the media.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:34:57 PM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »
I'm not terribly impressed with "Trust me" from someone who has never actually used it.  It's like being told how boring sex is by a nun.

I saw video of a few review sites dropping the iPhone from various heights with no damage other than scuffs to the edge of the case where it hit the concrete.  The only place I saw where the screen broke was on Systm when they dropped it face down from shoulder height onto rough cement, pretty reasonable that it'd break there.

I heard an estimate that 500,000 iPhones were sold this weekend.  If it sucks as much as Mother Ripley assures us, then we should be hearing about it anytime now.  :D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
there are two ways to get rich in todays world 1) find out how to make garbage a usable fuel source for cars and 2) stick an "I" in front of anything and sell it.

its the new iPillow!!! it is smaller than normal pillows and softer! However it will not give you more sleep! It will not re-energize you faster! it will not improve your life in any way at all! the new iPillow BUY NOW!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 03:58:54 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I heard an estimate that 500,000 iPhones were sold this weekend.  If it sucks as much as Mother Ripley assures us, then we should be hearing about it anytime now.  :D

no cut'n'paste functionality?

proprietery imap email client?

AJAX based web apps that can only accessed online via a slow gprs connection?

Screen that smudges?

No bluetooth A2DP functionality?

No hands free dialing?

Proprietery audio connector (recessed, requires special adapter from belkin to use standard 3.5mm plugs)?

The list is growing...

As someone else said, iphone is a good phone + ipod, but it is no smartphone or treo/blackberry killer.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »
Funny thing about all the yahoos that stood on line for days here in new york is that they didn't have to.  :lol

I heard on the radio today that everyone that stood on line was easily able to buy there $500 dollar phone, and there were plenty extra in stock.

suckers.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
there are two ways to get rich in todays world 1) find out how to make garbage a usable fuel source for cars and 2) stick an "I" in front of anything and sell it.

its the new iPillow!!! it is smaller than normal pillows and softer! However it will not give you more sleep! It will not re-energize you faster! it will not improve your life in any way at all! the new iPillow BUY NOW!

iCombatTour? :noid

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
no cut'n'paste functionality?

proprietery imap email client?

AJAX based web apps that can only accessed online via a slow gprs connection?

Screen that smudges?

No bluetooth A2DP functionality?

No hands free dialing?

Proprietery audio connector (recessed, requires special adapter from belkin to use standard 3.5mm plugs)?

The list is growing...

As someone else said, iphone is a good phone + ipod, but it is no smartphone or treo/blackberry killer.

Exactly.. I didn't even know that it lacks basic functions like hf dial rofl!

It doesn't make iphone a good product just because a bunch of morons choose to line up in front of stores to buy a new toy. If I wanted an iphone I'd buy the chinese clone for $70. Yeah, it even has more functions than the real iphone. :aok

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
I forgot, the non-removeable battery (can only be replaced by a service center).

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 04:30:17 PM »
Except for the recessed audio connector, most of that list will hopefully be addressed by software updates shortly.  That's why I haven't bought one just quite yet, I'm loathe to dump that much cash on a 1.0 product.

The screen getting dirty as a killer fault, though, is just silly.  It's glass, it doesn't scratch easily (I saw people scraping it with keys on purpose, putting it into a ziploc with metal stuff and shaking it, etc) so I'd just wipe it on my shirt if I had to.

I'll probably buy when the following are resolved:
1. Hands free dialing (It's a popular request)
2. File system browser
3. It's gotten at least one hardware revision.
4. I get the ability to use it as a bluetooth modem.

Under the nice-to-have list, I'll put the 3G speed connectivity.  They just bounced the speed of the data network from 40kbps to 200+kbps, but it's still kinda pokey.  I'd expect to stream most of my music off of my home machine when I'm on the road, that'd be a pretty easy thing to code from scratch or to expect to see as a feature from iTunes, so I'm not worried about the 4-8 gigs limitation.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 04:47:14 PM »
Meanwhile I keep using my treo that has had that functionality (bar the larger screen size) for quite some time now. Thats what annoys me, the rabid apple phones claiming that iphone is the treo killer and it does stuff the treo doesn't do (when in fact it has and has done for some time).

The iphone is a superior multimedia device in some aspects but as long as you are closed to apples choices then it will never be an option for me (yes I can play divx's on my treo).