Author Topic: Results of chaning from Ki-84 to Spitfire Mk XIV...  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Results of chaning from Ki-84 to Spitfire Mk XIV...
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2007, 03:30:04 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Gianlupo lives in Italy, making that duel very difficult to schedule. However,

The two gentlemen flying the other aircraft have been working with me for a while during the Trainer's Engaging Multiple Enemies clinics.

The next installment of this clinic is scheduled for July 12 at 9 PM in the TA at field A100, initial vox is 104. As groups organize, each group will be assigned a new radio frequency (105, 106, etc). On a good night we have four groups of 4 pilots.

The benefits can be huge in terms of improved SA and wingman co-ordination. The better sticks will have the other three in the tower in about 5 minutes (due to forced augers).

It's great fun..

Alas, WW, yes, time zones are a big trouble. Not only because we can't setup easily a duel (are you sure you don't have a free afternoon? Come on, you don't need to nap after every lunch, old man ;) :D), but because I can't attend to the clinics. This one, particularly, would have been useful to me... I still need to learn to read E states.

I posted in the H&T forum asking for some .ahf of the sessions, but no response. Thanks for posting this movie.

It would be nice if someone, maybe one of the trainer, recorded a whole session, including the chatter in tower (so that we can have the theory and the practice) and posted it on the BBS, it'd help people who lives in Europe to partecipate to the clinics without losing sleep. ;) I hope this can be done.

Sorry for the partial hijack, <>
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2007, 03:34:15 AM »
Ive fallen in love with the G6 for furballing :aok  The spixteen, lala and niki crowd seems to think its an easy target so they get careless.. BOOM :cool:

rope rope rope :cool:

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing

The film below is from our last clinic. It shows the strengths of the Ki-84 and some of its inherent weaknesses (unstable in the roll axis at high AoA). Glean what you can from it. Watch it from the Fixed position, zoomed all the way in. Use the horizontal and vertical sliders to follow the aircraft from various angles. Don't forget to turn on trails...

Ki-84 2v1

Thanks for share.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
That and the ludicrously low speed needed for the flaps to pop out!  
Alas, WW, yes, the time zone difference is a problem.
<--- need some english language enlightment!!) :)
better way of putting it, to be clear and simple.

Come on, you don't need to nap after every lunch, old man  
that is a strange foreign habit to most of the US. the usual lunch is 30 minutes around 12 noon, then right back to work.

and WW's use of the word 'clinic' is on the weird side.
better word would be 'class'.
as in, going to a class. (not a dig at you WW, just info for Gian.)
common use being this  though, the way some people fly, maybe a clinic would be better than a class. (if that is Dr. WW's intent then :rofl  )

mmm what was this topic about? oh yeah the spit14. a decent ride, not really worth the perk costs to lose one. but if it is flown right, it won't cost you anything to fly it.
if you insist on flying it, might be a good idea to fly it in training arena long enough to get used to it, before hitting the MA with it.
the ki-84 is a squirrelly target, use the force and go squirrel hunting on it, then you'll be having ki-84 for supper or dinner (whatever you want to call it).  :p ;)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2007, 03:15:32 AM »
I don't know who the above poster is. He doesn't fly in my squad. And I don't know why he posts when he's drunk! :noid
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
Re: Results of chaning from Ki-84 to Spitfire Mk XIV...
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
The comparison with a Ki is a bit tricky. The 14 is a B&Z ride, not a stall fighter. I would expect the prior to be a lot less work to fly. One could say the same for most of the B&Z type planes I think.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:43:11 PM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »
Who keeps raising the dead?

Offline HaDeSs

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2007, 09:28:58 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
The problem is why should the handling be so radically different so as to fly it more like a 109 or a 190 than a Spitfire - after all, it is a "Spitfire".

I believe the question Karnak and I have is why is it that way, in the first place. Is there any documented evidence that the Spit14 is a "completely different animal" in handling, than the other Spitfires?

I think not.

The *problem* with XIV is only one.. Griffon and his monsterous torgue effect.

Close throttle, and you have a normal turning spit, more hvy, but still

turns like spit (near same airframe-wings).

Open throttle and you fight with torgue just to keep it in straight line.

Thats the price for the beast.

>> The engine delivered over 4,700 lbs of torque to the propeller at take-off power which could wrench the airplane into a roll right out from under the pilot, especially during a go-around when maximum power was required at low altitude and speed.   The torque reaction of the Griffon would pull the engine to the right, which was where the carrier island was located, obviously a precarious situation.  This was eventually corrected by using contra-rotating propellers, but not before WWII ended.<<
http://www.unlimitedexcitement.com/Griffon%20Budweiser/Rolls-Royce%20Griffon%20Engine.htm

>>Pilot conversion from Merlin-engined to Griffon-engined Spitfires was not without teething troubles, the most common problem being the ingrained habit of applying a starboard trim to the aircraft's rudder to offset the tremendous torque produced at takeoff power. As the Griffon's crankshaft rotated in the opposite direction to that of the Merlin (a legacy of its intended use for naval aircraft), a starboard bias increased, instead of compensating for, the undesirable effects of torque. This problem was never fully overcome in land-based Spitfires, although the Seafire FR.47 was fitted with a contra-rotating propeller as standard, thus negating airscrew torque.<<
http://www.answers.com/topic/rolls-royce-griffon

Offline HaDeSs

• Zinc Member
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Not that I'm an expert in either type, but I agree with Dedalos.  We've had a number of Spit v. Ki84 matches in AvA over the past couple of years, often attended by some very competent people, and the 84 clearly dominates (regardless of which spits are involved, btw).

- oldman

ki-84 full flaps turns better than spits

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
I've actually had really great success killing spits in the Ki-84, often before the battle becomes a straight out knife fight.  Using high yo-yo's or just going vertical makes it easy to catch a lower E spit.  

I particularly like fighting the spixteen's.  Seems like the Ki84 has a lot of advantage over them, or maybe (and more likely) I just keep seeing a bunch of n00b's in them.

P.S. I'm a level 14 forum necromancer and love bringing topics back to life.  ITS ALIVE!  ITS ALIVEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace