Author Topic: Results of chaning from Ki-84 to Spitfire Mk XIV...  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Results of chaning from Ki-84 to Spitfire Mk XIV...
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2007, 03:55:17 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Technically correct version:

"...the ludicrously low speed at which the flaps pop out." We're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, so "...flaps pop out at" wouldn't pass a grammar test. At the same time, the correct version just sounds stiff and awkward, so it's probably better to reword the sentence to leave the preposition out entirely. For example, "That and how the flaps pop out at such a ludicrously slow speed!"

In conversational english, your sentence would fly just fine ending with the "at."

[/end grammarian mode]

Thank you, Simaril, I appreciate your help! Now I got it right. (just one thing: you can't let the preposition out entirely!) :)

Originally posted by FiLtH
I think between fighting a Spit16 or a Ki84 I'd prefer having to fight the Spit16. If you can survive the first couple of attacks it can turn into a turnfight. With the KI84, the fight starts out tuff and gets worse, especially if they use its climb on ya.

True, Filth, unless you find someone like who goof and let you kill him! :D Great fight the other day! ;) :aok

Widewing, do you want to duel me? Ki84 vs Spit VIII.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo

Widewing, do you want to duel me? Ki84 vs Spit VIII.

I'll be in the TA tonight at 9 PM Eastern for a scheduled training session to 10 PM. After that, I'll be available.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
I'd like to be there, but it will have to be another night for me.  A friend is moving and I have a truck....

Have fun and I'd like to hear the results.

EDIT:

I took up a Spit VIII last night and while I didn't get kills with it, one kill, one mission kill,, I did dance with a whole lot of Bish (I am a Rook right now) until I ran out of fuel.  It is definately one of the premier fighters in AH.

It has also been on my short "Favorites" list for a long, long time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:28:15 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2007, 02:23:50 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I'll be in the TA tonight at 9 PM Eastern for a scheduled training session to 10 PM. After that, I'll be available.

My regards,

Widewing

Ouch.... that would be 4 AM for me... :p Best thing is to find a day when you can fly in afternoon, it would be evening for me. PM me to arrange for that.... I think we never met in duel, I'm eager to find out the result! :)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »
Originally posted by Engine
If you know how to fly it, it's the butcher of the skies. Fortunately, it will never be as popular as the spit16 or la7 because it requires you to know when to shift from E-fighting to low-speed flap turning, and how to sucker enemies into fighting your fight. If you just keep WEP on and try to turn with everything like a Spit, you're dead. If you just try to keep it fast and fly it like a Pony, you're dead.

Will never be popular because it's just not worth even it reduced perked cost.

May well have been when it was first introduced, but the planeset is that much bigger now.

Check back through it's stats the last 2 yrs, it has never got much better than a 1.1 / 1.2 K/D for any tour, and is the ONLY perked plane not to achieve a 2.0 or better K/D ratio.

If the fights were 25k+, yup it's probably worth a mild perk, but as they are substantially lower it just more hamburger meat.

UNPERK it, they unperked the Ta-152.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2007, 07:12:39 AM »
Kev, I think Engine was talking about the Ki84, not the Spit XIV, in regard to Tedbr post.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2007, 11:41:06 AM »
Yep, I was talking about the Ki84. :)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
spit8 was the plane I learned to fly the game with.  I love that bird!  But, I have been wandering the planeset getting a feel for the different planes and how to fly them and how to beat them.  I'm now stuck on the Ki84.  I have a blast upping with 50% and drops for a sweep or the bombs on attack.  I've had more luck with JABO in it than most other dedicated attack planes!

The spit8 is a darling though.  I think it can hold onto its E very well.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
Originally posted by leitwolf
As far as perking Spitfires is concerned, the 16 should be perked, not the 14. It offers far more potential to unbalance typical MA fights.

Yet the 38 still owns the 16. :t
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

Please, post the films/tracks of the duel. I need learn how fly the Ki 84 and tips for burn more spits VIIIs.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »
Check the dates... 2 month old post here. Bongaroo bumped it (who knows why?)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Been reading up on the Ki84 with some forum searching.  Sorry about the necromancy.  I meant to ask in my post if a duel ever occured.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
No worries. Usually folks will make note "Sorry for the bump" or "Resurrecting an old thread" so that folks reading through it realize a time jump has taken place.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
Originally posted by DarkglamJG52
Please, post the films/tracks of the duel. I need learn how fly the Ki 84 and tips for burn more spits VIIIs.

Gianlupo lives in Italy, making that duel very difficult to schedule. However, I will post a film of my Ki-84 vs a Spit14 and a P-47D-40.

The two gentlemen flying the other aircraft have been working with me for a while during the Trainer's Engaging Multiple Enemies clinics. They have improved considerably over that period. We rotate through the players, with everyone getting a few chances to fly as the lone guy. To prevent these fights from becoming a perpetual 3 on 1, if you take hits to your cockpit glass, you are expected to turn on your airshow smoke, disengage and fly out beyond icon range. Once you do that, you can turn off the smoke and fly back to the fight.

So far this has worked very well, with every player respecting the honor system.

The film below is from our last clinic. It shows the strengths of the Ki-84 and some of its inherent weaknesses (unstable in the roll axis at high AoA). Glean what you can from it. Watch it from the Fixed position, zoomed all the way in. Use the horizontal and vertical sliders to follow the aircraft from various angles. Don't forget to turn on trails...

Ki-84 2v1

The next installment of this clinic is scheduled for July 12 at 9 PM in the TA at field A100, initial vox is 104. As groups organize, each group will be assigned a new radio frequency (105, 106, etc). On a good night we have four groups of 4 pilots.

The benefits can be huge in terms of improved SA and wingman co-ordination. The better sticks will have the other three in the tower in about 5 minutes (due to forced augers).

It's great fun..

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »
Since this thread opened the door to unperking the spit XIV, I concure.

Having flown with the 56th for some time, I would fly the spit14 to change the pace from jugs. I always found it to be like flying a lighter P47N that turns to the right with a mean zoom climb. If caught lower than about 7k without speed from a dive, spit16 drivers often ran me down and dominated the low alt 1 vs 1 that resulted.

When the K4 was introduced I could not understand why the spit14 remained perked and the K4 wasen't. I have been flying the K4 alot since last tour and find it's speed under 12k level on wep to be competitive to the spit14 or better. Thats how I escape so often to land 1-3 kills each sorte. If the K4 is not perked simply because the 30mm in the nose is dificulte to hit with, I say Rubbish.....I just fly to within 200 and the con goes boom when I tap the trigger. The K4 is a wolf in the lambing pen.

Since the Ta152 has been unperked I have been flying it along side the K4. It seems many average players don't know how to get it to mow through furballs at over 400mph, get a kill and either zoom away to safety or run away on the deck from La7, D9, 51, and K4. It is awsume and easy to fly after my time in jugs. On the deck I have beaten spit14's with the Ta152 furballing with half the main tank left.<----qualifying here that my Ta152 was very low on fuel and light on ammo at the time.

So if these two german power deamons are unperked with the incredibal performance they display. And the spit14 against them is not immune by a very long shot. HiTech I vote to unperk the spit14. It is not going to become the next CHOG epidemic by any means. It requires too much time and effort to learn it well enough to cause arena wide problems. And in most cases 2weekers, new players and average players will get picked off down low in furballs and never spend the time learning its strengths and peccadillos. This will probably contribut to it not being flown as much as the spit8, spit9 or spit16. Or even the BF109-K4.

And I'm a little biased. I like the spit14 for it's strenghts. I have survived more often because of them and appreciate it's high speed abilities in the game.:aok
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.