Author Topic: F6f-5p?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
The last thing I want to see is Greebo in a cannon F6F!  Can the rest of us get one but not him!!

:noid
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
how does 12 airplanes supplied count as "squadron" or "unit" strength and roughly 300+ supplied not?  

This sounds as though someone does not want a particular aircraft in the game.

Seems to me we already have some very rare aircraft tooling around now, why not allow some that definitely had numbers even if they did not fly in "squadron" strength.

It was a staffel. It was a single staffel all using the same plane.

Hey I didn't make the rule. HTC set that precedent long ago. The Ta152 barely counts, but it counts. Now, sketchy accounts of 2 Ta152C-0s flying alongside those 152Hs wouldn't count, same way having a squadron of 26 -5s and 3 -5Ps wouldn't count.

That's the way I see it, and I think most would agree.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »
Problem is, you add a two 20mm and four .50 caliber option to the F6F and 75+% of F6F's in the MA will fly with that armament even though it represented a tiny fraction of historical F6F use.

Same goes for the quad 20mm Spits.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 05:23:10 PM »
No question it would need to ne either an ENY 5 or a perk ride similiar to the C hog. We actually already have the problem you mention anyway. How many people do you think fly the 2 x 20mm La-7 even though the 3 x 20mm was a very small % of total production #'s.

Everything I've ever read says the P's and N's left the factory with 2 x 20mm & 4 x .50. This may or may not be factually correct 411. I do know that both 20mm N's and P's did serve in active combat in the PAC. As mentioned normally mixed in as a part of the overall squad strength. Without doubt the N saw active daylight service in addition to it's designed role.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »
Much as I would enjoy having a couple of Hizookas on my favourite ride, I don't feel it would be justifiable in the game. The planes should be modelled as near to the way they were usually flown in the war as is possible. This is also why I feel the 3 cannon La-7 shouldn't be in the game, or should at least be perked.

As others have said the only F6Fs to regularly use cannons in WW2 were the nightfighters and they had a heavy radar and a draggy radome on the wing. Any cannon equipped Hellcat should have the same radar fit. You could say the Me110G should have radar too, but that was flown as a day fighter in RL without the radar.

BTW the Fleet Air Arm's Hellcats and Corsairs all had the six .50s. The FAA bought some F6F-5N nightfighters but the war ended before they were deployed.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
It was a staffel. It was a single staffel all using the same plane.

Hey I didn't make the rule. HTC set that precedent long ago. The Ta152 barely counts, but it counts. Now, sketchy accounts of 2 Ta152C-0s flying alongside those 152Hs wouldn't count, same way having a squadron of 26 -5s and 3 -5Ps wouldn't count.

That's the way I see it, and I think most would agree.

I do not believe that HTC ever set a rule regarding the inclusion of an aircraft.  I think it is based more on their desire to see a particular aircraft modeled, and lately, the vote of the people.

As for the "staffel", my bet is that they never flew 12 aircraft at once, or if they did it was rare.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
I do not believe that HTC ever set a rule regarding the inclusion of an aircraft.

My guess is that if Mr. HiTech wants, Mr. HiTech gets...  See RV As an example, doubt there was a staffel of those :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
As far as I know the only requirements HTC has mentioned are that the plane must have seen service within the time frame of WWII and have seen combat with enemy planes. If anyone can prove beyond reasonable doubt that these Hellcats did that, then they can be added to the plane set. Simple as that.

Any arguments that it would be an unhistorical weapon loadout because of its scarcity are irrelevant. Planes and perk costs are not decided by historical factors, only by game-balancing factors. The Main Arenas are NOT recreations of WWII, but arbitrary game-worlds where we "fight" with simulated WWII war machines.

THAT's why we have the Ta 152, C-Hog, 3-gun Lala, Me 163 and the other rare birds. And THAT's why the C-Hog is perked and the 3-gun Lala is not. The unperked C-Hog usage was unbalancing to the game, the Lala simply isn't.

In the upcoming CT the rules will of course be different. Perhaps these rare birds and loadouts will be available as character "upgrades", but certainly not available to all.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: F6f-5p?
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
Originally posted by humble
...any place that would have the serial #'s etc on what birds VOF-1 had in 8/44?

That website doesn't provide BuNo's for the aircraft.  What it does provide is a weekly summary from the beginning of the war until September '45, of all aircraft in the Navy/Marine inventory, which unit was assigned to each CV or MCAS/NAS, and a by-type listing of all aircraft assigned to each squadron and the location of those aircraft.  

For example, if you wanted to know how many of all types of aircraft were assigned to VMFN-533 in April of 1945, it will list all of their aircraft type and the location of those aircraft.  If you want to know when the F7F or F8F arrived in theater, it will show you.  If you want to know what observation squadron was assigned to the USS Washington in 1942, it will show you.

You can tell, for those squadrons deployed aboard ship, how many of a type they had aboard ship, and how many they left behind at Ewa.

As such, it is an invaluable reference on its own, and the Navy deserves kudos for providing such a resource to the public.

I think you'll find that the listing of aircraft is detailed enough that listing BuNo's isn't necessary, unless you're actually looking for the location of a specific aircraft BuNo which it does not provide.

Anyone interested in checking the aircraft mix of specific ships and squadrons on specific days (which could be correlated to specific battles) can find that information there.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
My guess is that if Mr. HiTech wants, Mr. HiTech gets...  See RV As an example, doubt there was a staffel of those :D

Didn't you read when it was "released"?

The RV8 is a tool, not a plane. It was so HT could take off in the real thing, take off in the virtual thing, and compare how close they were. It's one reason this FM is better than AW and WB and IL2 and all those other games -- real world comparison.

He only beefed up the 3D model and "released" it for the con.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
F6f-5p?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Didn't you read when it was "released"?

The RV8 is a tool, not a plane. It was so HT could take off in the real thing, take off in the virtual thing, and compare how close they were. It's one reason this FM is better than AW and WB and IL2 and all those other games -- real world comparison.

He only beefed up the 3D model and "released" it for the con.

I was joking.  But thanks for the info anyway.

(Sounds like an excuse to me rather than a tool ;))
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --