Author Topic: Planes on the ground at airfields as targets  (Read 1670 times)

Offline AVG

• Zinc Member
Re: Planes on the ground at airfields as targets
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »
I seem to remember a bunch of WW-II gun camera footage of aircraft being shot up on the ground, especially in the Pacific Threater of Operations.

Warbirds dispurses aircraft on some of their fields for destruction and it did indeed add to the fun of the game.

AVG

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
Only a human in the cockpit counts as a kill in the real world young man....

But.... If we had "prop" planes, worth an ammo bunker in perks or something, it would help base defenders.  Some jerk would want to strafe the parked planes instead of knock out the town. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:21 AM »
  Don't you find it strange there are no aircraft parked at any of the airfields in AH ?  I do.  In fact I bet MORE aircraft were destroyed on the ground in WWII than were ever shot out of the sky.  At least as far as the Japanese, German and Russian air forces are concerned.
   Nor do I think it would be a particularly monumental undertaking for HiTech to accomplish.  Especially since the aircraft wouldn't be doing ANYTHING except sitting there.  Heck they could get really fancy and disperse some of the aircraft on the perimeter of the the field in hardened hangers and camouflaged positions. You know.  Just like they do at REAL military airfields. 
   Now I'm going to anger lots of people by even suggesting these unmanned aircraft be counted as KILLS when they are destroyed.  I'm pretty sure they are counted as KILLS in real combat.  It should be the same in the game.  Don't you think ?

I actually think this idea has a little merit.  I wouldnt count them as "kills" but maybe 8-10 A/C parked on the side of the RW that had to be destroyed in addition to the hangers to make take off impossible at a field?

Or - specific aircraft parked which, when destroyed, made that type unflyable at that particular field?

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »
Hmm, I'm thinking someone should write his own game.

I AM ALL OVER THAT

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
  Sure I could go into the TA and practice CV takeoffs and landings.  I've got one word for that.. BORING !  I could also fly into the only furball on the MA map after 11:30 at night and feed KILLS to the ego maniacs..  Same thing.. BORING.  I could fly around bombing hangers that will respawn in 15 minutes.  That's pretty meaningless.  And I've already got about 2,000 perk points I'm not using now. 
   Point is there's NOTHING at these airfields to defend.  98 percent of the maps aren't even being used in the MA after midnight.  It's furball or nothing at all.  But if ALL fields contained aircraft on the ground that could be destroyed and these aircraft counted as KILLS.  Well that's a whole different situation, isn't it ?   
   It would be in HiTech's best interest to make this change, because Furballing or the alternative Boredom, is RUINING the game for new players.   If "go train" in the TA is the only alternative you have to offer to boredom in the MA, something is drastically WRONG with the game. 

So basically, you want to vulch planes without any risk?  That's all it sounds like to me.  I don't see how this is in HTC's best interest to add a feature that caters to the skilless such as yourself and rely on vulching for kills, and parked planes at that.  Are you afraid of planes and things that shoot back at you?

It sounds like you want to dumb this game down even further so it matches your skill level.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
  Change is coming to Aces High whether you fighter jocks want it or not.  You're just too dense to realize it.  AT&T has already announced a series of internet rate increases over the next couple of years.  If you're paying $40 dollars a month now, you'll be paying more like $125 dollars a month for ultra high speed internet service in a few years. 
  What is Aces High supposed to do ?  Go out of business protecting your game ?  Of course not.  They can't lower the subscription fee, it's only $15 dollars.  They can't do anything about AT&T's price gouging..  They have a monopoly.  No other server can provide 100 mbps transfer rate to every AH subscriber.  The only option left to AH is to CHANGE THE GAME so it appeals to a broader audience (READ THAT TO INCLUDE SKILLESS DWEEBS). 
  Inevitably the MA will have to be fixed or scrapped altogether.   As rates increase, players will not want to expend expensive internet time practicing in the TA to compete with more experienced pilots.  It's as sure as DEATH and TAXES.  They're going to have to dumb down the game for the masses. 
  I enjoyed the strategic strategy wargames of the 90's too.  It made me just as sick to see them crowded off the shelves by "jerk and twitch" shooter games..  but that's where the money was.. that's what the masses wanted.. and they got it. 

I'm glad you don't work for my company or any other online gaming company because you really have no clue as to what makes or how to make an online game successful.  AH is one of the oldest MMOs on the market and it's safe to assume that HTC does have a grasp as to what his intended subscriber bases wants and a business model to ensure that his game survives, you don't.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
I thought we already had this "feature" in the game, no one is stopping you from sitting in your airplane on the field and not moving.  In fact if someone shoots you while you're doing that it counts as a kill.  Judging by some of the responses to this and other threads I'm guessing more than a few hear would love the chance to do just that.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »
As much as Mr. Waldron is clueless about the game, I have always thought there should be planes parked around the fields, just as there were in RL.  It would be nice eye candy.  They should not, however, be counted as kills, simply additional objects to be destroyed.

As a means of giving them some value, they could be tied into the ENY system for the airfield they are destroyed at, limiting the lower ENY planes at that field as more and more are destroyed, with some sort of cap so it doesn't go out of control.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »
As much as Mr. Waldron is clueless about the game, I have always thought there should be planes parked around the fields, just as there were in RL.  It would be nice eye candy.  They should not, however, be counted as kills, simply additional objects to be destroyed.

As a means of giving them some value, they could be tied into the ENY system for the airfield they are destroyed at, limiting the lower ENY planes at that field as more and more are destroyed, with some sort of cap so it doesn't go out of control.

:aok

That's strange... I started reading this thread and kept reading coming to these EXACT same conclusions only to find the LAST person who posted beat me to the punch!  :rofl

I agree with everything that BaldEagl just said.
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:11 AM »
I have a squady that flies around taking out Radars at every field he can reach....it would give him something else to bomb! :D
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »

Great so the underdog can only fight back with the mk I hurri . Bad idea.
See Rule #4