Author Topic: Marksmanship Trouble  (Read 986 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Marksmanship Trouble
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
you're talking about defending your buffs? i cannot wait that long, as by the time the bad guy is at 200, i've already lost at least 1 drone if he's any good. i've also heard that the buffs converge at 600 yds....so at 800, if he fires, i kinda try to ""tickle" him and get a bead.by the time he's at 600,i've got a good bead, and open up..and it is especially easy if they're on my 6 like the 3 the other night.
 one piece of advice i can offer some of the newbies.......don't think that because the ju88 has small guns that you can simply park on their 6 and shoot em down. you can't. they'll tear ya apart.

I think he's talking about fighters.... I may be wrong though.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 06:42:57 AM »
One thing to consider, I fly with my MS sidewinder between my legs, you know, where a "joystick" belongs.

Normal flying mode I have good control. But this system really shines when you need to lock down and get very precise. Simply brace your arm on your leg, somewhat limiting your movements. And you go from "all over thee sky" to "steady freddy" which is just what you need for lining up that shot.

Before you retire that st-290 give it a shot, costs you nothing.
Also you might want to try giving that central pivot some lube.
Which is another thing that can make a huge difference.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 06:55:48 AM »
I "retire" my ST290s every 6 months or so. They'll give good service that long, and at $20 a pop, why not?

I know it is a cheap stick, but I am used to and like very much the arrangement of the buttons. In particular, the center button is right under the hat switch, I press that for my "look up" button with the heel of my thumb and then can use the tip of my thumb to work the hat switch easily. Very fluid and natural, no fuss, no messing with the keyboard, and I like the method better using the trigger for "look up"

I'd buy a better stick if I knew of a good one out there that has a button configuration and dimensions more or less idential to the ST290.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »
I got an ST290 when I built my new computer in March.  It died Memorial day weekend.  The main fire trigger quit working.  I ran to Best Buy the next day and bought a Sitek Av8tor.  I like it a lot more than the ST290.  We'll see how long it lasts.

In the interim, I asked newegg for an RMA on the 290.  They sent me an e-mail telling me to either keep it or throw it away and they sent me a new one at no charge so I now have that as a back-up.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.