Author Topic: TrackIR 4 Pro questions.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: TrackIR 4 Pro questions.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
This old dog took to the trackir with no real problems. Sure there was about two weeks where I thought I would never get use to it, then I found out about modifying the profile. Now I can't imagine flying without it. I would like to add one caveat, so far I have had much better luck with the reflectors on the hat as opposed to the trackclip pro (the LED lights). As I'm not flying in the MA atm I've been playing with the trackclip, and I think that I may be able to dial it in where I could use it instead of the reflectors.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SkiMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »
I have the TIR 4 pro rig (about 5 months now) 

It takes a bit of getting used to...but holy crap is it worth it.
I have none of the problems with the pro rig (with the leds on the clip that attaches to the headset) that some
others have had.  In my opinion that rig is far superior than the reflective hat clip (one comes with the package)

I have become so accustomed to it that;

1. I move my head around while watching films thinking it will move the view

2. I find myself trying to peek around blind spots in other games by moving my head

3. I can no longer fly without it.

Formerly Skiman and 613Ski

Currently flying as Pariah

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »
Is there a learning curve as to getting used to the views? 

Yes, defenitely. It takes time to get used to it, and then again some time to finally tweak the settings to your personal needs - which is very important.

2. I find myself trying to peek around blind spots in other games by moving my head

Sounds very familiar to me :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »
Thanks again everyone.  Your input was very helpful in helping me make a decision. :aok

So, in about two weeks if you see a spit 9 or a pony B spiraling out of control, don't worry.  It's just me. :D

Keep us up to date on how you make out !  <S> we got to get together for a coffee sometime!

Definitely Fugi! 
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
I´ve flown with the TIR4+Trackclip for around a year, and i refuse to live without it anymore  :devil
Only gripe is those planes with a lot of steel behind the pilot, its quite hard to get a proper 6 view when in middle of fight.

AH2 has currently the best TIR support in a prop sim <S> HTC for that !
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
Disadvantages:
- Porked 6 view in F4U's and F6F's

Thanks Lusche. That's exactly the information I came here looking for. I'm new to the game (less than a month) and I've been using a TrackIR for the last couple of weeks. TrackIR is amazing, and I completely agree with everything that everyone's said about SA... however, I normally fly the F6F and I've found that the headrest is really in my way! I'm glad to see it's more or less a problem with a couple of specific planes...

Quote from: SIK1
I would like to add one caveat, so far I have had much better luck with the reflectors on the hat as opposed to the trackclip pro (the LED lights).

I couldn't agree with you more. I ponied up the extra cash for the LED headset and found it to be annoying. It got in my way every time I took my headset on and off. Now I've clipped the old "reflective hat clip" to the top of my headset and I couldn't be any more pleased (aside from the whole can't see my 6 in an F6F... but who needs to live, right?)

Thanks,
Tim
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:41:49 AM by _vic_ »

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
Thanks Lusche. That's exactly the information I came here looking for. I'm new to the game (less than a month) and I've been using a TrackIR for the last couple of weeks. TrackIR is amazing, and I completely agree with everything that everyone's said about SA... however, I normally fly the F6F and I've found that the headrest is really in my way! I'm glad to see it's more or less a problem with a couple of specific planes...

I couldn't agree with you more. I ponied up the extra cash for the LED headset and found it to be annoying. It got in my way every time I took my headset on and off. Now I've clipped the old "reflective hat clip" to the top of my headset and I couldn't be any more pleased (aside from the whole can't see my 6 in an F6F... but who needs to live, right?)

Thanks,
Tim

Actually, I get the same 6 views in the F6F and F4U that anyone else can get. I just use the hat switch to look directly to my 6 and then shift my head left or right to see around the seat. It comes naturally with practice, but the best comes from the immersion of the TIR4. I wouldn't play without it. It does take some getting used to, but just leave your hat switch enabled and slowly acclimate yourself to it. Soon you won't be using the HAT much, and you'll have a comepletely immersive experience. Also, for new TIR4 users, plan to spend an hour or two just tweaking the settings of the software to get you the profile you are comfy with. It'll go a LONG way for comfort. I've got mine tweaked so I don't get any lost tracking, and can look anywhere from the cockpit I want with relative ease.
Rolling Thunder

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 04:29:16 AM »
Actually, I get the same 6 views in the F6F and F4U that anyone else can get. I just use the hat switch to look directly to my 6 and then shift my head left or right to see around the seat. It comes naturally with practice, but the best comes from the immersion of the TIR4. I wouldn't play without it. It does take some getting used to, but just leave your hat switch enabled and slowly acclimate yourself to it. Soon you won't be using the HAT much, and you'll have a comepletely immersive experience. Also, for new TIR4 users, plan to spend an hour or two just tweaking the settings of the software to get you the profile you are comfy with. It'll go a LONG way for comfort. I've got mine tweaked so I don't get any lost tracking, and can look anywhere from the cockpit I want with relative ease.

Whom better to reply than my very own Squad leader! <S> Chapel.

I too use the hat to look directly behind me and then slide my head left and right to see around the seat... it's the only reason I still have my primary hat programmed for views. It's a bit of a clumsy workaround when you're getting started though. I can do it easily when flying with my wingman and I'm casually checking in on him, but in the heat of battle I tend to rely too much on the kindness of allies to tell me when the bandit is "in" and when he's "out" because at my newbie skill level - too much time spent looking backwards means that my nose is going to find itself pitching up or down... (remember when you learned to drive a car, and looking over your shoulder for a lane change would actually cause you to drift that way? same same.)

I have two possible solutions that I'm going to try once the wife lets me play again... One, someone mentioned earlier, leaning inward and down before you "center" the TrackIR, then sitting upright will raise your head in the canopy - and I imagine give you a much better perspective overall.

The other thing that I'll try is to set the "X" scaling in the TIR software so that it doesn't require such drastic movements to move the camera left and right. I have to lean my whole body to one side or another, which tends to cause my stick to drift as mentioned above.

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »
1. I move my head around while watching films thinking it will move the view

:aok me too!

Sometimes while driving I move my head very slightly, thinking I'll be able to see side-to-side just so easy.  :lol

For the F4U's I find that if you "center" your TIR view in a way so that you wind up sitting very "high" in the cockpit, you can see aft quite well. Then, when you get saddled on someone, just recenter TIR for normal height view and you can see your sight normally.