Author Topic: Aircraft Speeds  (Read 137 times)

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Aircraft Speeds
« on: August 06, 2000, 10:55:00 PM »
Twice today (once in the scenario in the SEA in B17s and once in the MA in Spit IXs) I was flying with one or more identical aircraft, identically loaded out, identically trimmed out (at least where autoclimb is concerned) and found significant speed differences among them (with mine invariably the slowest).  I never recall seeing differences this big in WB.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
 Weight of the pilot? You have to watch your diet if you want to stay in shape...  
miko--

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
Not fair, Miko- you must have peeked!  But seriously, folks..... I guess the absence of responses to the post means that no one has noticed the problem, which leaves me more puzzled than ever.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 01:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Bluefish:
Twice today (once in the scenario in the SEA in B17s and once in the MA in Spit IXs) I was flying with one or more identical aircraft, identically loaded out, identically trimmed out (at least where autoclimb is concerned) and found significant speed differences among them (with mine invariably the slowest).  I never recall seeing differences this big in WB.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Net lag can play a very large part of this alot of the time...

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2000, 05:40:00 PM »
Jigster, thx for the response! I know net lag can lead to a lot of oscillations among formation members, but I never knew that it could lead to one player's aircraft being significantly and consistently slower than others.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2000, 09:10:00 PM »
 I've experienced this mainly in scenarios in which someone in a formation always seems to have been given some kind of super high octane fuel, while the rest of us are running on junk. Odd, but true.

-Westy

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »
In my experience this is caused by one or more of:  gear, flaps, ordinance, fuel load, trim, or throttle calibration.

I once led a jabo strike in an AW scenario.  We flew for 30 minutes to the target, and I seemed to be always having to slow down for my flight to stay with me.  We got to the target and dove in for the strike.  I lined up and pickled off my bombs -- except there weren't any!  I had forgotten to load them.

Reported "damn...two misses" to the flight.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Aircraft Speeds
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2000, 11:50:00 PM »
I believe that is due to:

Your plane wobbling up and down while the other planes are in level, making you lose speed.

or

others used wep to accel when you didnt.

In short, who knows?  

I have observed this too. In a 109 SEA we had 109 G-6's take off, form up and get on same autoclimb speed, heading to same direction (straight S on compass) and MY plane outran the others all the time. We all had the same loadout and gas. It was really odd.