Author Topic: BLOODY FLAK FROM FLEET!!!  (Read 1149 times)

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
BLOODY FLAK FROM FLEET!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
I myself am not real happen with the distance and range at which I'm being shot down by the flak, but most times I've found that it's the player manned guns that are killing me at those ranges. I think it's the usual super player gunner that's affecting this. The same as the buffs. Some are REAL good shots and others suck.

Bane
13th TAS

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »

Originally posted by BaneX:
I myself am not real happen with the distance and range at which I'm being shot down by the flak, but most times I've found that it's the player manned guns that are killing me at those ranges. I think it's the usual super player gunner that's affecting this. The same as the buffs. Some are REAL good shots and others suck.

Bane
13th TAS

I don't remember seeing any kill message for mine other than You've been killed at the long ranges. I'll have to look again when I get hit at 15k and see.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »

I don't remember seeing any kill message for mine other than You've        been killed at the long ranges. I'll have to look again when I get hit at 15k and see.

You might try that.. not necessarily what's happening but could be <shrug>. Just seems to be the case for me is all, but yes the ack in general is very lethal as it is and I usually avoid CV's if I can.

Bane
13th TAS

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
Smut, no flak will EVER follow a fighter into ACM manouvers the way AH flak does.

Think about it: If the flak could NOT follow your fighter in that "tunnel of death" as it does in AH, what are the chances of it HITTING you?????? THAT is what pisses me off. If there was a wall flak at certain altitudes trying to hit me i'd accept it and try to constantly switch alts (which is what WW2 fighter pilots DID). Problem is, I cant do it because the flak is as attached to me like flies are attached a pile of dung.

Flak in AH should fire a huge wall of flak at an alt close to yours in an effort to whack you. This would be dangerous to bombers (but not more dangerous than the current flak) and to fighters... but fighters would have a far wider margin of safety from flak because they can climb or dive quickly to avoid it (plus being smaller targets)

In AH, fly straight and level and the flak will rarely hit you. Manouver and you WILL get hit. Ridiculous aint it? Thats because of the nature of the "flak tunnel", not because the flak is uber. Make the tunnel become a real flak barrage, covering a quarter of a mile or something and things would be a LOT different.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Check the news section. Ack change(s) on way

-Westy

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
cc Westy thx. I figured they were. I got on this forum (as far as Smut is concerned) to bear the weight of all the flack gripers around the world.  Doing his best Elvis--> "This time Lord you gave me a mountain, a mountain that I may never climb..." How am I doing?  

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 01-16-2001).]

Offline Smut

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
<rolls eyes>

What exactly did I say to you to provoke this kind of reaction from you??? You need to get a grip dude, it's only a game.

-Smut

Originally posted by Jimdandy:
cc Westy thx. I figured they were. I got on this forum (as far as Smut is concerned) to bear the weight of all the flack gripers around the world.  Doing his best Elvis--> "This time Lord you gave me a mountain, a mountain that I may never climb..." How am I doing?    

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »

Originally posted by Smut:
<rolls eyes>

What exactly did I say to you to provoke this kind of reaction from you??? You need to get a grip dude, it's only a game.

-Smut

LOL! Don't worry Smut I'm just bored and trying to entertain myself.     All in jest.

Offline Specterx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
I've been killed by fleet flak a grand total of one time. I'm not finding any kind of "patriot" capability here, if anything the ack is too limited - for ships equipped with radar, it takes the AI AA awhile to lock on to and commence firing at a target. Enemy buffs can get one, maybe two passes in at medium altitude before they're even fired upon, and I've never seen fleet ack kill a level buff. Nor have I seen fleet ack kill anything that wasn't attacking the carrier.

Does anyone have any film evidence of these deaths by ack at "50 miles while manuvering", etc.? If not it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that you either:

1. misjudged the distance to the CV

2. were killed by flak from another source (e.g. an enemy land base)

3. were killed by an enemy aircraft

4. sustained fatal structural damage due to other factors, e.g. dive speed

5. had a minor (and lucky) flak hit added to previous damage from other sources, thus causing the actual destruction of your aircraft  

6. lagged at the time of death, causing your plane to "drift" into the trailing flak fire

The deadliness of the AAA is apparently another point of contention - but it has to be the way it is. The difference between the flak effectiveness on WWII ships, like the Shoho, and AH ships is that attack forces in WWII consisted of multiple squadrons, potentially adding up to hundreds of aircraft. Flak fire isn't very effective when you have a small task force without radar firing at two hundred attacking planes, all aiming their bombs at a single ship. The AA in AH is, as it should be, designed to counter single attackers or small groups. If you haven't noticed, it's not very good at dealing with large attack forces - all the guns concentrate on one target at a time until it is destroyed, and then select a new target until that is destroyed, and so on. A force of probably ten bomb-equipped aircraft could sink the fleet, since the carrier seems to be made out of gasoline-soaked paper.

[This message has been edited by Specterx (edited 01-17-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2001, 08:34:00 PM »
"Does anyone have any film evidence of these deaths by ack at "50 miles while manuvering"

Got pics, but unfortunately the film does not film FLAK PUFFS.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
Ditto to that,,,,,,i had the same experience
yesterday,,,,,radarguided cannons with very long range,,,,,,,

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
When you make a bombrun,,,just shout BANZAI

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
I think with the latest patch they the ack is better. You can actually maneuver and get away from it. It hasn't shot me down nearly as many times as before. I'll call it liveable.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
"I'll call it liveable."

Same. It's still hard to take out the planes (vulch) taking off at the fleet but unless I'm the sole enemy around and the sole focal point for all that fleet ack  I can handle the it ok now.

-Westy