Author Topic: Faulty USB device killed my joystick, anyway to fix it.  (Read 447 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Faulty USB device killed my joystick, anyway to fix it.
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
So I bought an internal flash card reader to put in my system, this one here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609298&cm_sp=MyNewegg-_-RctViewDC-_-Pst01Descrip

Installed the card reader and nothing happened, put a CF card in and nothing happened, so I figure it is faulty, but just to check everything I plug my joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) into the USB port on card reader, nothing happened.  So I declare it DOA and take it out.  Later on I plug my stick back into it's usual port on the front of the case and get the pop up message "USB device not recognized" etc.

I tried other USB devices and they still work fine.

I've tried the joystick on other USB ports, even on other computers and get the same thing.
I've tried reinstalling the Logitech drivers, they don't detect the joystick either.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device in the device manager no go.

Bottom line; somehow this $10 dollar faulty card reader killed my $40 joystick.  Is there anyway to fix it, or am I just screwed?
Should I call the manufacturer of said card reader and be very angry?

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Re: Faulty USB device killed my joystick, anyway to fix it.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
you said you installed this card reader your self. i believe in order to be able to contact mfg you needed to have it done by a tech. sounds like your stick is screwed. and 40 bucks for that Logi 3D man those things went up in price. you would be better off buying a Saitek ST290 Pro for 20 bucks. buy a new stick and plug it in and see what happens
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »
Have you tried different USB jacks? See if only that particular one is damaged?

I have a similar drive as the one you've installed. It uses a USB header (internal kind) for the plug. That goes onto the motherboard.

Now, theoretically you can severely damage your system by connecting the wrong USB pins to the wrong wire....

Here's the layout of a header:

Naturally you don't want that +5V going to the wrong place!

So when I plugged my 4-pin internal USB plug (from my reader) into my header, I had to check the wires on the plug and make sure it was twisted the proper way around on the header.

Theoretically you could damage your USB on your motherboard, but realistically I've only heard of harming the device itself if you put the plug on the wrong way.

It maybe the case (maybe) that installing the drivers for this reader has screwed with your drivers for your stick?

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:39 AM »

Later on I plug my stick back into it's usual port on the front of the case and get the pop up message "USB device not recognized" etc.

I tried other USB devices and they still work fine.

I've tried the joystick on other USB ports, even on other computers and get the same thing.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
Ah, CC.

Well... Short of sniffing the stick (look for that telltale smell of burnt electronics) I can't say what else to do. Try to complain to the reader company may not work (so many of these places go belly up, have no support, etc --- hell my DVD burner went out of business after I bought it! Still works but I'll never get any support for it if I need to).

EDIT: Before you give up all hope, I should suggest doing a google search or something, and see if anybody on the Internet has experienced the same thing, and if any of them found a solution (or not).

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:07:28 AM »

I have a similar drive as the one you've installed. It uses a USB header (internal kind) for the plug. That goes onto the motherboard.

Now, theoretically you can severely damage your system by connecting the wrong USB pins to the wrong wire....

Here's the layout of a header:

(Image removed from quote.)

Naturally you don't want that +5V going to the wrong place!

So when I plugged my 4-pin internal USB plug (from my reader) into my header, I had to check the wires on the plug and make sure it was twisted the proper way around on the header.

Theoretically you could damage your USB on your motherboard, but realistically I've only heard of harming the device itself if you put the plug on the wrong way.

It maybe the case (maybe) that installing the drivers for this reader has screwed with your drivers for your stick?

I'm sure I plugged it in the right way, as it has the key 9 spot which is blank, and the plug is also solid in that spot, that is the only possible way to fit it.  It is possible that the plug on the card reader is wired wrong though.  Card reader came with no drivers, shouldn't need them, my external reader doesn't.  Either way I think my stick is toast, I've been googleing for the past hour trying to find a possible solution, no luck.

The bright side is that at least it wasn't a real expensive device that it killed.  It just happened that my joystick was the closest thing when I looked for something to plug into it.

P.S.  This is why if you have a camera you care about you should always use a card reader.  I would be ready to kill if that thing had fried my camera.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:20 AM »
Have you tried shutting down your computer (all the way off cold and dark) plugging the joystick into its usual port and restarting?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »
Had this on an older puter - if what Chalenge said dont help, try reinstalling the drivers for your JS .

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.