Author Topic: Flap usage during maneuvering  (Read 1297 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Flap usage during maneuvering
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
Read the thread Mechanic posted a link to for more info.

I concur...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
some great advise so far

I personally use flaps to get myself over the top, at stall speed, or say I am in a fighter that turns good but I am fast, and come across an nme con who is slow, but cant "turn better"  at this point the one slower will turn better,  so I will pop flaps out and get my speed down to where I can out Maneuver (turn) the slower plane. but if the speeds are far different then don't use flaps but use your E for a high Yo-Yo, or spiral climb. and then depending on what the nme does will depend on what you do.   

this is something I think a lot of people get confused about, a P-47 should not be able to "out turn" a zero, but if they are both say at 350 or higher TAS, the 47 will out turn the zero, I use those two planes just as an example, to get the point across. 

my $.02

ink

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
Bozon lets not play this Book thing, if you have ever been in cruise in a plane with highspeed flaps, and you blow one notch, you will climb.  I was not trying to get academical, I was giving a broad explanation, of flaps.  I have the FAR, and the AIM setting at my desk, I did not feel the need to break them out and write a chapter.  I was trying to Keep it simple. Everything I wrote was correct, I did not see the need to get in depth into the subject, I doubt that there are many folks studying for the Private pilots License, or the Commercial license.

BnZ if you look at the POH for the P-210, Smith Aerostar, the MU-2, they call for 1 notch of flaps on take off.  Infact the reason that airliners lower flaps on takeoff is to increase lift, they change the profile of the wing, making the chord bigger, greating more lift, they raise them as they climb out they raise them because at a certin time it becomes a hindrance, because a thinner wing is a faster wing.  

Again I was not trying to quote from a book or get seriously in depth, I was being very broad.  I didnt think that most people care about the flight school aspect of flaps.  Again to increase the rate of decent without an increase in airspeed by inducing drag in most types of flying. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:42:34 PM by 2ADoc »
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline ares473

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the information guys. There is a lot there to go over and digest. I noticed that with some planes you can put in one notch of flaps ( I am assuming one notch being a standard 10 degrees) and some planes like the Spit or either flaps up or down. I'll keep practicing. As far as the increase lift with the first notch of flaps I will have to agree on that. Both in this game and when I fly my RC aircraft that have flaps, the first increment of flaps always creates a kind of balooning effect at first. Also in this game if you notice on takeoff with heavy bombers if you have auto take off enabled, flaps are automaticaly set to t.o. with out them, you would chew up more runway to get airborne. Again thanks to everyone for all of their input. I got some practicing to do.
I know I can fly and I know I can shoot, just not at the same time.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
Thanks for all of the information guys. There is a lot there to go over and digest. I noticed that with some planes you can put in one notch of flaps ( I am assuming one notch being a standard 10 degrees) and some planes like the Spit or either flaps up or down. I'll keep practicing. As far as the increase lift with the first notch of flaps I will have to agree on that. Both in this game and when I fly my RC aircraft that have flaps, the first increment of flaps always creates a kind of balooning effect at first. Also in this game if you notice on takeoff with heavy bombers if you have auto take off enabled, flaps are automaticaly set to t.o. with out them, you would chew up more runway to get airborne. Again thanks to everyone for all of their input. I got some practicing to do.

:aok

Remember, if you get stuck with anything or if you want to polish up your flying in any way, seek out a trainer in the Training Arena.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"