Author Topic: Seeking 38 or hog training  (Read 566 times)

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
Seeking 38 or hog training
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
I've been flying the 109 for a while and it's gotten kind of boring.  I enjoy flying both the f4u's and 38's very much, but I can never seem to kill anything with them unless I'm picking on a furball.  I'm looking for anyone that knows the secrets to either of these airframes and would be willing to spend a little bit of time with me getting at least basic tactics down.  :salute
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Seeking 38 or hog training
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
As a quick overview, the 38 is best in the vertical fight, but done correctly it can turn nice.

the F4U's secret is it's hover flaps.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Look for the 80th when they are on. See if you can tag along. They are kinds strange but they let me fly with em some :)
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
As a quick overview,

the F4U's secret is it's hover flaps.

actually the secret is to learn how to judge & manage your Energy, learn to evaluate the situation at hand ( SA = Situational Awareness ), and learn your F4U's Combat Flight Envelope........

in my view of "hover flaps   or uber flaps" regarding the F4U........ this is an adhock thinking people get when they get waxed by an F4U because they made a mistake when the F4U shot their cartoon plane down in the game........so they think if that F4U did not have those mythological "Hover, Wonder, Uber Flaps" it would not be able to beat me...... never owning up to the fact that they got beat because they messed up and the F4U capitalized on their mistake...... food for thought.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
actually the secret is to learn how to judge & manage your Energy, learn to evaluate the situation at hand ( SA = Situational Awareness ), and learn your F4U's Combat Flight Envelope........

in my view of "hover flaps   or uber flaps" regarding the F4U........ this is an adhock thinking people get when they get waxed by an F4U because they made a mistake when the F4U shot their cartoon plane down in the game........so they think if that F4U did not have those mythological "Hover, Wonder, Uber Flaps" it would not be able to beat me...... never owning up to the fact that they got beat because they messed up and the F4U capitalized on their mistake...... food for thought.....

QFT. The flaps are great, sure, but it's only one part of the F4U's game. What REALLY makes the Corsair such a dangerous opponent is that while many aircraft only excel in one type of combat the F4U can basically do them all. I probably spend more time in the mid-speed range than I do flaps out, especially in large fights.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:20:52 PM »
L0nGb0w,

If you are used to flyng the 109's, especially the earlier ones G6 or earlier.  The transition to the F4U is a fairly easy one.  Both planes require quite a bit of throttle and flap work to make a good dogfighter.  E retention and building between the two is a different story however.  PM me if you'd like to setup a time to work on the hog, I'm on central time and open evenings.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »
I will not have any 1:1 time available until very late on Sunday night. What does your schedule look like?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
I'm also on central time and play evenings/late nights, sunday I will be on all day and into the night probably as I don't have to work, I will look for either of you ingame, thank you much!  :salute
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »

Give me a holler too, if you see me.  I plan to be on quite a bit this weekend, Central time, late evenings and into the morning.

I should be on Thursday, Friday, Sunday, and Monday.  I'm not sure about Saturday yet.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson