Author Topic: Chain Of Command  (Read 1620 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: Chain Of Command
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 06:51:27 AM »
No, ain't going to happen.

You can how ever try and control your own little corner of the world. Put a squad together that can have 10-15 guys show for your "squad night". Appoint your "generals", create missions (don't just run NOE after NOE :rolleyes: ) and work on either holding your area of the map for a few hours, or try to increase the size of your area by grabbing a few bases. You don't need the other 100 people flying on your team to do this, nor do you need to nor SHOULD you dictate how other should play the game ( we must all follow the generals orders !)

Fugitive are you encouraging Hording (sp)?  Everyone knows more than 9 is a Horde..    :D   :bolt:

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 08:28:25 AM »
The only way this will work if you have the commanders post missions with targets. If a squad accepts (only those who have elevated privs) and the mission is successful, all squadmates get perk points.  Individuals can join the mission too with the same results.

There need to be a benefit to accepting orders...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »
Even though we have squads, their is no use of team work between squads, or the use of strategy in the game.

uhhhh no.... i know of many times in the past where one person takes control and has multiple squads do the work. god. i was even one of the ones that did this last year. we took half of nit land cuz of it
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
Put this into place and I'll be moving on. We already have enough petty Air Generals assigning targets, telling people where to go, what to do, bullying, babbling, condescending.

Nothing wrong with a squad doing that. The war had chain of command so the squad should too. Its all part of the Historical fun. I spent four years in the service and know how it works. But Im not talking about squad OPs. Im talking about general gameplay. And I couldnt care less if a map is lost or won.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »
Ignore this post.

Aces High has become chaotic from what I've seen. With so many squads, and solo pilots, most pilots just go around, looking for a huge furball to get into, just to score a couple of cheap kills over and over again. Most days their is no attempt to defend, capture, or take control of the maps. Even though we have squads, their is no use of team work between squads, or the use of strategy in the game. I am submitting a request for the Idea of a command structure. My idea is to have one person in charge of a country with Generals in charge of the Theater of War (Zone system). Next a lower ranked individual in charge of a smaller section of the zone, followed by Base commanders, to squads. ((this idea can be changed to better the use of command.)) This is just a idea that right now isn't fully developed. I would like your opinions on the idea, and how it can be better, and Please leave smart bellybutton remarks out.

As others have alluded and you may have started to realize, the MA is not a singularity of strategies.  The MA, itself, is comprised of several different sub-cultures that co-exist in the same arena. Some co-existing a little better than others.

If your BBS login is an indication of how long you've been playing, then you have several phases of game to endure before really getting a good picture of what Aces High is all about.  Some learn it faster than others.. some may never learn.

GhostH commented in another thread about observing the 'life cycle' of the AH player.. I wonder how his breaks out...

I had been playing a couple years, myself, before I understood that people intentionally seek out furballs to play in them.  A quality that still escapes me, but I respect their desire to partake in that practice.

Others are content with living to camp a V-spawn.  Again, not my cup of tea, in general, but another facet of the game.  Now.. if you're camping a spawn point a squaddie is upping, prepare to be egged..  :devil

Others go off and bomb strats for no real good reason other than it's cool to blow up buildings.. and do so with other squaddies that are there to protect you or help in the cause.

Same goes for base capture. Crippling hangars and defenders to gain virtual real estate. ( is that a paradox? )

CV hunting

Puffy Ack target practice

HQ busting

Picking

And those who search for the one vs. one fights.

I'm sure there are others, but I think you may start to get the point. 

Some days things click.  A group gets together and starts some good momentum. Missions are built, filled, and succeed. The wave rolls and all those involved have a great time.

Other nights, not so much.

Some days it happens early, other days late.. you may not be present when it happens.. it may not happen that day at all.

About all you can do is increase your odds of being there when it happens.. or be involved in making it happen when you are there. 

Get in a squad that has the same values you do, or start your own. Respect other squads and work with them to form comraderies ( sandbox 101 here ) and a good repertoire. 

Be patient.  A good system will take a few weeks to get in place.. it's very likely it won't happen overnight. 

But you can do it.  It just takes work.

In the meantime, learn to recognize the different sub cultures and respect them.  If you build friendships with them, maybe they'll respond when you call out for help later.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »
Excellent post, Drone. It takes all sorts to make AH the great community it is.

:aok
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
Superbly put, APDrone  :aok

It is a chaotic environment and it is always up to oneself to build one's own happiness in it. "DO what does it for you with other buddies like you". One cannot change how others play it. Attempting to change others to fit one's own liking is a direct route to sorrow and whining.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »
this is the 2nd time I've seen someone say the same thing this week..

WTF? Are you even playing in the MA's? All I ever see is people trying to take bases, and people defending them.

I agree. Thats about all I have time to do: defend the hangers so I can up and go find a fight. Past that if no ones in the mood, bombing the BH's at the other guys base always solves the problem of downed FH's.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »
This is a great idea. I love it!
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
Nice post APDrone.

HiTech

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
Just to put the cherry on top to APdrones very good post.

For the newer player, it starts with you assisting someone else to do something.
Not with you trying to tell anyone what to do.

Over time, as you make friends, build reputation, some may choose to follow you.
Some will quit what they are doing and come when if you  ask. 

But it all starts with you getting a reputation  helping others.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
You forgot one Drone: Buff hunters. Smaller than other groups but still valid none the less.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
Then there are the Quakers - you can tell them by the funny hats they wear while flying...   :airplane:
Just look at what they fly, trust me I'm not lying   :old:

They like to hunt sheep, dogfight in bombers, and fly asleep.  

They don't like green jeeps or those who complain and weep   :cry

They don't like squeakers or squeealers in the game      :furious

They are quakers who wear funny hats all the same      
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:50:53 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »
Why not just command your squad. Form a mission and get on a roll. Forget the draft it will just run people off.  Sir.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but in case no one else has said it, if you really want a structured format of game play where people are assigned as commanders, and groups are issued orders with objectives to complete in order to affect the overall "war" then you need to get involved with Friday Night Squad Ops, and the Special Events Campaigns. Those events are a complete 180 degree turn from the average MA game play. Going "off mission" cost your side points, failure to achieve your objectives cost points. Most events are a "one life" type deal where it's extremely important to fight smart and mutualy support your fellow team members and not run off on your own looking for that kill.

The MA is nothing but a huge mixing pot of every concievable style of game play. There is no right or wrong in the MA. Special Events and FSO, you follow the rules or the event CM's will boot you if you prove to be problem.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"