Author Topic: Too much instablity in WW2 planes w/ part of wing missing after patches.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
GUNCRASHER,

I've flown both F4s and F15s home with dead wings (in the real world) do to "hydraulics" loss...its not fun, but certainly doable.

-Rodent57

I know that can be done, but was talking about if missing 1/2 a wing will kill they hydraulics controls too.  something that has always bothered me in the game is when a plane loses 1/2 a wing and it can still fly at full speed, I dont think that was possible in RL.  and please do not call missing 1/2 a wing "wingtip".

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
It's a matter of lift and airspeed. The wings make more lift than necessary to keep the plane level. With enough airspeed you can keep going using the remaining aileron to keep that wing down. When you drop below the speed where you can maintain deflection with that aileron (less airflow, less downward force) you can no longer do it.

That's why it's easy enough to fly with part of your wing missing in AH, but not so easy to land. Landing usualy falls well below that controllable state.

P.S. hardly any WW2 planes had hydraulic aileron controls. Some had "boosted" controls, but there was always a physical connection to the ailerons somewhere.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Keep in mind that the graphical representation of what is missing does not necessarily match what the flight model considers to be missing.  In other words, the graphics can make it look like you are missing 30% of the wing's area while the flight model considers a wing in that damage state to be missing 10% of its area.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
I know that can be done, but was talking about if missing 1/2 a wing will kill they hydraulics controls too.  something that has always bothered me in the game is when a plane loses 1/2 a wing and it can still fly at full speed, I dont think that was possible in RL.  and please do not call missing 1/2 a wing "wingtip".

semp

I bet some or even most of our planes didn't use hydraulic controls.  The Mig-15 didn't even have hydraulics.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline jay

• Silver Member
flew a 190A5 home (Missing both wing only stubs left) with just my elevators and rudder (engine prop rotation was a key factor!!) wasnt easy at all but i have no film :(
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson