Author Topic: College Scholarships...need help  (Read 851 times)

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
Re: College Scholarships...need help
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »
I know it a big bump but I figured it was better than a new thread!

Well she got accepted to Butler U a few months ago and just got the info on what they are going to do for her.  Butler is just under 40k a year and when we started this I thought there was NO WAY I was going to be afford that university. With grants, scholarships, one loan (small one) those will cover 36K a year for her.  Bonus is her housing and meal plan is included in the 40k (Would hope so) so looks like I'll be cheering on the Bulldogs tonight as they play Duke in the NCAA finals!

WMBohicA
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
Let me see if I can help at all.

I am also a pre-med bio major at Western New England College which is a small private college in Springfield, MA.

The whole FAFSA thing depends on several factors.  Depends on how much the household income is, how much in your bank account and your kid's, how many kids you have going to school, and how much the school is to attend. 

The biggest factor is also how much money the school gives out which depends on how much they receive from the government and how much in donations they receive.

If she is still looking for scholarships, the biggest site to use is fastweb.com.  Going need it probably for books as books go for about $1k.  I know that I have some of the most expensive books on campus because the sciences are the most expensive next to the law books and the single most expensive books are the organic chem books at about $400.

I know my school is one of the largest givers in money in the area and its a 40k school and Im paying about 15k to go.

Make her take a major on because you can't do much with a pre-med degree and if you dont get into medical school she has a fall back plan.  There really isnt a pre-med degree at most schools as well but it is really just a course of classes to take that medical schools require.

Make sure she fills out the FAFSA every year though as some people do forget as it is required to get aid for the next year.

I am currently a 1st semester junior because I am a semester ahead and starting to get all the plans together for the MCATs.

Tell her good luck in her adventures and if she wants any advice she is more than welcome to hit me up as I am also the vice president of my school's pre-med group.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
Fill out the FASFA, it gets mixed results as you can see, but it's been very helpful for me.

Here's a list of Freshman Scholarships at the University of Kansas (Also boasts one of the top medical schools in the country *cough cough*).
http://admissions.ku.edu/freshmen/scholarships/freshman_scholarships.shtml

Here is some more general information about grants and scholarships though the KU website.
http://www.kumc.edu/studentcenter/finscholarship.html

It's rough, and it's nearly impossible to get through medical school without taking out loans.  Totally worth it in the end.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
I'll just say make sure she gets her partying out of the way....it's one thing to get those scholarships and have your first year paid for...but do terrible and have to pay the next 4-5 years.  Seen it too many times.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »
I know it a big bump but I figured it was better than a new thread!

Well she got accepted to Butler U a few months ago and just got the info on what they are going to do for her.  Butler is just under 40k a year and when we started this I thought there was NO WAY I was going to be afford that university. With grants, scholarships, one loan (small one) those will cover 36K a year for her.  Bonus is her housing and meal plan is included in the 40k (Would hope so) so looks like I'll be cheering on the Bulldogs tonight as they play Duke in the NCAA finals!

WMBohicA

Stroker that is really great news :)

You must be a very proud Papa, and your daughter sounds like a great kid.

Having had one daughter finish college and another in her final year I understand the sacrifices of the parents (or parent), and recognize the drive some of our kids have these days.

Sound like she "done good" and sounds like you "done did good" too. :rock

From one proud Papa to another...give her a hug and a well done from this old Canuck please.

cheers,
RTR

The Damned

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
 :rolleyes: Ha, I didn't even look at the dates on this.  I read the OP and was in a bit of a hurry so didn't read the rest of the thread (including the update).  Well, never mind then.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
Fill out the FASFA, it gets mixed results as you can see, but it's been very helpful for me.

Here's a list of Freshman Scholarships at the University of Kansas (Also boasts one of the top medical schools in the country *cough cough*).
http://admissions.ku.edu/freshmen/scholarships/freshman_scholarships.shtml

Here is some more general information about grants and scholarships though the KU website.
http://www.kumc.edu/studentcenter/finscholarship.html

It's rough, and it's nearly impossible to get through medical school without taking out loans.  Totally worth it in the end.

Hate to break it to you man but Kansas didnt even receive a score in this year's medical school rankings.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/primary-care-rankings

Rightfoot huge right though get the partying out of the way hurt me my first semester.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
Hate to break it to you man but Kansas didnt even receive a score in this year's medical school rankings.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/primary-care-rankings

Rightfoot huge right though get the partying out of the way hurt me my first semester.

Admittedly I was not aware of the latest numbers but that is only a single way to measure a school.

Folks, play nice.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:35 AM »
move to Georgia over the summer. and let her attend a Ga High school for her senior year. that would out her in the position for hope scholarship, this covers all tuition and books. Then fill out FASFA and she will be completely covered. you wont have to pay for anything except for meal plans.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »
Have her talk to her school councilor.  They can get you paperwork and such.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH