Author Topic: For the Training Arena  (Read 361 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
For the Training Arena
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »

Would be a nice fit for the TA, wouldn't it?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: For the Training Arena
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »
I'll see ya and raise you this one..

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Yep :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
The purpose of the 2 seat trainer is to keep the fledgling pilot alive and the training aircraft intact. Neither issue is a factor in the TA. The trainee can ride along with a trainer already and vice versa.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
The purpose of the 2 seat trainer is to keep the fledgling pilot alive and the training aircraft intact. Neither issue is a factor in the TA. The trainee can ride along with a trainer already and vice versa.

Not quite the same as having 2 sets of controls, but internet connection variance would probably doom this idea.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
'so, in order to do a split s you roll the aircraft inverted like this then' 
*disco
*death spiral
'umm, mister trainer are you there? Is the plane supposed to be doing thi'
*tower
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
It is possible to .join and ride along, but you can't fly. No one dies trying to learn how to fly AHII, true, but in my opinion, a dual control plane could help some people get over initial learning problems.

Plus it is a novel concept that purely on its own would likely draw interest.

Personally, I don't see how internet speed could cause any problem. How much time would it take once a key is clicked to switch control from one pilot to another, surely not even 1 second on the internet. Discos happen, but meh, not all the time. If someone discos the other pilot could automatically get control, and if it's the cadet, oh well...

Use some key combination like SHFT C and SHFT I to change between Cadet and Instructor.

Add a small panel with two lights clearly visible, (cadet) - (instructor), in the cockpit of the Stearman or T6, then either one of the two pilots could choose who currently has control of the plane.

Players can already become gunners in bombers, meaning two players are already playing from a single plane in game.

Beyond that, the dual pilot concept might be added to bombers, to let a real pilot and co-pilot share flying time.  :O

There are a lot of reasons for flying AHII, including online camaraderie, not just boomin everything in sight in late war hot rods. Dual control planes might be worth the time of developing.

Best.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »
Dual controls make sense when I move my rudder pedals and your pedals move also. If all that happens is that you see a graphic of my pedals moving then you may as well watch a film or join my aircraft. Which reminds me, it would be nice to see control movements in ahfilm. A 2 seat trainer would be cool but it's a lot of work for no real benefit. If an instructor is joined to a student he should be able to tell the student what control inputs he needs.

Ending flight, air spawning, and joining doesn't take a lot of time and if you use macros it's pretty quick.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:24:00 PM by FLS »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
I was talking about the plane ITSELF, not the dual controls.

:P
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
The plane would be cool. I dunno why that picture made me think of dual controls.     :headscratch:

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:49 AM »
Oooops, sorry Sax. I also thought of dual controls. I requested the T6 a long time ago with dual controls...

And yes FLS,  :D  I realize the benefit of dual controls to AHII is not great - sort of like the P39D; very few people use it except in certain scenarios.

Anyway, the Stearman would be nifty. Would be interesting to add training planes from other countries too.

Best