Author Topic: Purchasing new system - couple questions  (Read 299 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Purchasing new system - couple questions
« on: November 02, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
I will be purchasing a new system in the next month, either kit or components. I have decided on the following...

Processor: AMD T-Bird 1.4 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS A7M266
Memory: 256 Meg ECC & SPD compliant
Sound: Soundlaster Live
New case and power supply and plenty of cooling

I already have a good 17" monitor and Geoforce2 GTS card that will last me another year.

I have considered as well the ASUS A7V266 in place of the A7M266. The reviews are a bit confusing. The V266 has sound built in but I have heard some problems with IRQ sharing between the sound and video card in this configuration. Any experience with built-in sound?

I can do what I want now for about $420 - $450 on pricewatch.

What do you all think? Is this a pretty good combo?

Also, I was thinking of buying a new HD, any good programs out there to do a mirror image?

FYI, I am upgrading from a Pentium II 400Mhz. I am not sure how this is possible but I get 30 to 40 FPS right now at 1024x768 32bit with many graphic options going, in smoke drops to about 15fps. I am running Windows "memory clean" while playing and overclocking my graphics card somewhat.

Thanks for your help.

Rogue out

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: rogwar ]

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Looks like a nice setup. You don't necessarily need ECC RAM unless you plan on running it as a server. Norton Ghost will let you make a mirror of your HD. Make sure your new power supply is at least 300W. You should be able to run AH at 1280 or 1600 with that new setup  :)

I've got an Athlon 1.4ghz myself, but went with an Asus A7A266. I prefer the ALi chipset so I don't have to mess with 4-in-1 drivers. I was running a GF2 GTS until a few days ago and got about 40fps at 1600 res.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2001, 04:10:00 AM »
You might want to consider an alternative sound card, based upon all the problems people have with the SB Live.

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Get a Giga-byte GA-7VTXH.  It has integrated LAN, support for AthlonXP, and extra ram slot.  Costs $107.

For the memory, get 512MB.  Will cost about $60.