Author Topic: From a Rest Camp in the Pacific  (Read 1668 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: From a Rest Camp in the Pacific
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 03:33:56 AM »
After hearing and reading first-hand accounts I often wonder if I could have ever done what these people did in WW2.  I can never come to a conclusion.  I get in myself stuck in this circular logic, it starts with, "I'm a mentally and physically tough person, there were those with less that came through."  But then always cycle around and think about what they saw, smelled and heard, and think to myself, "How tough is tough enough?"  And then the part that really gets me is some people did everything right; obeyed orders and fought smart.  Yet there is some sort of metaphorical dice somewhere that decided that shell was going to land right next to someone, or perhaps that one stray bullet was the end of it.  That, in it's self, would be the best and worst part for me to mentally absorb.  Best, because once I realized it that I could only control so much, the inherit dangers of chance would be pushed to the back of my mind.  However, at the same time it would be the worst because sometimes it's those things that are kept at the back of one's mind that can send one over the edge.

It's nuts to me that it's reading things like this can keep me up at night.

:salute to all past, current, and future servicemen.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 06:00:03 AM »
 :salute  Unimaginable what that man has seen, words wont even get you close.

My Grandfather's Brother served and died at IWO, I have received a rubbing with his name on the memorial last year and have it framed.

Thank you for sharing, so many good honorable men died at that battle.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
Remy, that letter from the Japanese is actually kind of funny. It would be cool if you could get it and the rest of that stuff scanned.

Sector, I often have similar thoughts when I consider what it must be like to do what they did. The very fact that we can't get our mind around it is a testament to the greatness of what they did for us.

:salute to your great uncle, dad'.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »
Thanks for posting Sunbat. Very cool.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)