Author Topic: Sherman Fireflie's true top speed?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Sherman Fireflie's true top speed?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
http://afvdb.50megs.com/index.html

Interesting site that has some good info on the Sherman. The listed "sustained speeds" for the M4A3s are 26 mph and the Firefly as 20 mph. Same as AH. The trouble is of course as stated above the other GVs in the game use max speeds so its apples and oranges. It looks to me that all 3 Shermans in the game require a speed adjustment upwards. Either that or the other GVs need a downward adjustment from their max speeds. Its an honest mistake but I think that Tyrannis stumbled on to something here.

Problem is there isn't any viable sources to this claim, I showed proof of the Firefly's top speed was 22.25mph, this is from my source, HTC probably has their source which is some others I read at 20mph. If you can show proof the Firefly did excess of 22mph, show the documents and it will be examined :)
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
Squire, all GV's use maximum potential speed. M4's had a larger speed advantage over their german counterparts...... off road.

If you used cross-country speed, you would see that better.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
Problem is there isn't any viable sources to this claim, I showed proof of the Firefly's top speed was 22.25mph, this is from my source, HTC probably has their source which is some others I read at 20mph. If you can show proof the Firefly did excess of 22mph, show the documents and it will be examined :)

Top speed and sustained speed are two different things.  The source I posted says the same thing in terms of top speed 22.25.  Clearly if you are traveling a distance, you can't maintain that top speed and settle into the sustained speed of 20mph
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
This is what I posted: All the sources I can find puts its best speed at 37-40 kph or 22-24 mph

Now if it turns out they use 22mph I say im ok with that as I have seen that as a source.

The problem is you can't get faster than 20 mph. Which I think is just too slow. At some point a line has to be drawn I think and I would say with the Firefly 22 mph is the lowest value you can find in any source.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:40:21 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
This is what I posted: All the sources I can find puts its best speed at 37-40 kph or 22-24 mph

Now if it turns out they use 22mph I say im ok with that as I have seen that as a source.

The problem is you can't get faster than 20 mph. Which I think is just too slow. At some point a line has to be drawn I think and I would say with the Firefly 22 mph is the lowest value you can find in any source.

I wonder how the difference in top speed and sustained speed was figured.  At some point after  certain time did it slow to 20 despite pedal to the metal?

I'm not a GV guy so I don't know the answer to this, but how often do guys in the game go barreling around at full speed?  Is that 2 mph that much of a difference in game?

Again I'm not a GV guy so it won't impact on me either way.  I'm just curious.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
Not really. Makes for slightly shorter transit times, and not much else.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline tf15pin

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
  Is that 2 mph that much of a difference in game?

10% is pretty big. There are quite a few cases where if a tank were 10% faster it would be the difference in a base capture or successful defense.

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
10% is pretty big. There are quite a few cases where if a tank were 10% faster it would be the difference in a base capture or successful defense.

x2. I traveled from one base all the way to a friendly field getting vulched just in time with a Wirble to shoot the troops dropping out of a goon. I only got one, but it bought us the 4-5 mins for FH to pop. I saved the field  :joystick:
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
I wonder how the difference in top speed and sustained speed was figured.  At some point after  certain time did it slow to 20 despite pedal to the metal?

I'm not a GV guy so I don't know the answer to this, but how often do guys in the game go barreling around at full speed?  Is that 2 mph that much of a difference in game?

Again I'm not a GV guy so it won't impact on me either way.  I'm just curious.

Its like having 2 engines in your 38, when you lose one you slow down which makes running away impossible so you rather have 2 engines. In my case I enjoy the Panther because of its 29 mph speed - only the T34/85 is faster at 32 mph, it makes a huge difference when you are running from hill to hill or tree sections to tree sections to find cover in a GV fight.

True 4 mph doesn't seem much, but I can say speed has saved me a few times.
JG 52

Offline SDGhalo

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
22.25mph is what roughly I am showing for the speed of the Firefly, no clue why its slower then an M4A4, being it had the same engine a Chrysler A57 Multibank engine and weigh's 34.8 tons vs the Firefly being 34.75 tons, However the M4A4 is rated at 25mph Road and 20mph Cross country, while I assume the Firefly is 22.25mph Road and some what slower maybe 19.75mph cross country.

My best guess at this is the Firefly should be 24-25mph Road as all the evidence I've collected really doesn't add up entirely, I would think its highly possible the documents are wrong, also another possibility is for example crews tended to add sandbags to the tanks for added protection - thus increasing weight, however I would believe these were field tested without any modifications for example the early versions of the Firefly didn't have wet storage for the ammunition as Fireflies risked Fire/explosion for the storage of rounds before the americans introduced this.

it wasnt just sand bags they added to increase there protection if youlook at the photos on this website http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/tanks/mainbattletanks.htm

youll see that they used lots of spare track. as addon spaced armour which is alot heavier then sand bags i believe

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
There were three main engins in the M4 the GAA ford V8,the Chrysler A57 multibank, and the Continental R975 radial, there was a 4th engine issued only in the pacific and only to the marines it was the D200A radial Diesel. Having driven the GAA and the R975 the GAA seemed to have the most power while the radial fouled the plugs bad when idling for a long time. All my Books and manuals state that M4s converted to the Firefly were powered by the multibank engine, plus the gun weighed in at 3 tons you had the armored box on back for the radios and you had a loaders hatch cut into the turret roof and a new gun mantlet. Being a tanker for years dont go by what books say about speed you can have 10 tanks and all ten run at slightly different speeds. Here are some good pics of a fire fly http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/firefly_tank/index.html
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.