Author Topic: 88mm flack gun  (Read 4061 times)

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
Re: 88mm flack gun
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
It's manned and Anti aircraft, tanks
JT

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
If ack in AH was effective as it was in real life, no one would play Aces High.  You are seriously kidding yourself if you actually believe acks in game are more effective than what they were in real life.

ack-ack

I think hes talking about the 5" manned flack, which I would agree with. If the FlaK batteries protecting Germany were as effective as 5" is at protecting a ship from low level attack, we'd all be speaking German by now.

Of course the keyword is "low". Manned puffy isn't really that effective against high-alt bombers, since you can't see WHERE your shells are going, unless you're on target.

Then again, since our shells will burst regardless of if they pass nearby an enemy, we'll be able to more accurately adjust our lead.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
If ack in AH was effective as it was in real life, no one would play Aces High.  You are seriously kidding yourself if you actually believe acks in game are more effective than what they were in real life.

Geez, how can one seriously kid himself?

8th AF formations (and I'm sure the same was true for 15th AF) did not, could not, take evasive action once committed to their bomb runs.  Most of them came out of the ack on the other side of the target.  I don't believe that is so in AH.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

8th AF formations (and I'm sure the same was true for 15th AF) did not, could not, take evasive action once committed to their bomb runs.  Most of them came out of the ack on the other side of the target.  I don't believe that is so in AH.

- oldman
Only aircraft I ever lost to puffy ack in AH was a Bf109G-2.  I've taken minor hits in bombers, but never even had system damage from puffy ack.

Why do you think that most bombers don't make it through the puffy ack in AH?

(I am speaking of the non-proximity fused puffy ack here)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »

- oldman

You forget also, that hundreds of Flaks were shooting at hundreds of bombers, narrow that down its pretty accurate in Aces High - we are using very small numbers vs very few flak guns.

JG 52

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »

8th AF formations (and I'm sure the same was true for 15th AF) did not, could not, take evasive action once committed to their bomb runs.  Most of them came out of the ack on the other side of the target.  I don't believe that is so in AH.

- oldman

I don't remember ever being shot down in a bomber by CV puffy ack when flying >=20k. When attacking CV groups in bombers, I fly at 9-12k. At that altitude, losing a bomber due to auto puffy is quite rare, while I'm frequently being killed by manned 5" guns (which do have radar fuses, which Germany had not).
Only over the new strats I do get occasionally a critical hit, but rarely one that outright kills a drone. In 29's it's even better:  I have made 12 missions to the strats in B-29s so far (all with formation) and haven't lost a bomber to puffy so far, the worst case was one oil hit with resulting loss of one engine.

And unless there will be some additions to fire control or gun placement beyond what we do have in beta, the field 88 will just be a minor annoyance to bomber operating at high altitude.  However, Lancs passing over the base at 10K, which is quite the "standard" for AH, will get wiped out a lot if the 88's are still up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:30:54 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »

I don't remember ever being shot down in a bomber by CV puffy ack when flying >=20k.

I stand corrected then.

- oldman

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »
fwiw, fired at drones in 88's offline.  i miss even with distance dialed in.  anyone knocking them out of the sky?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
fwiw, fired at drones in 88's offline.  i miss even with distance dialed in.  anyone knocking them out of the sky?

Range?

Enable the LCS and see where you are shooting versus where you should be shooting.

Messing around in Beta the other day, firing straight up @ 12k fuse setting, I noticed considerable "drop" before the AAA went PUFF between where I was "aiming" and where the shell was going off.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I was able to down the drones.  Even got two with one shot.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
 :old: I cant wait! :devil :devil :devil :x
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher