Author Topic: 88mm flack gun  (Read 4073 times)

Online Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: 88mm flack gun
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:21 AM »
Oh just wait till I figure this gun out. :devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »
always wanted an 88 on an AF

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:44 AM »
Artillererary!

Tow it! Tow it!
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »
Better yet, get a bunch of artillererary together, and THEN tow it!

... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:09 AM »
You don't think that 1 (maybe more) 88's spread around an airfield would give a bomber jock reason to pause and think about his route?

I know I would.

Not in the context of your initial statement:

This sure is going to put a damper on things for the milkrunners that just want to fly around flattening towns.

So far we have just seen a 88 on a field. That's gonna hardly deter town milk runners, as they do fly way too high and the town is often quite a bit away from the field anyway. Under the current system, even 5" with proxy fuses would fail to scare them off.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2011, 04:13:54 AM »
So far we have just seen a 88 on a field. That's gonna hardly deter town milk runners, as they do fly way too high and the town is often quite a bit away from the field anyway. Under the current system, even 5" with proxy fuses would fail to scare them off.

So you've never flown over an airfield on your way to hit a town? I know I have.

As far as them flying too high, surely you know that an 88 can reach quite far. With a trained gunner (assuming this is manned) the results will give many the bomber pilot cause for concern.
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2011, 04:23:11 AM »
So you've never flown over an airfield on your way to hit a town? I know I have.

As far as them flying too high, surely you know that an 88 can reach quite far. With a trained gunner (assuming this is manned) the results will give many the bomber pilot cause for concern.

I have too, but if the airfield would become dangerous, I would simply avoid it.

And it's not because the 88 can't technically reach that far. It's because nobody will hit. Even the 5" manned guns on CVs have never ever managed to shoot me down at >20k. A typical town milkrunner altitude is way above that. A formation of bombers, flying perpendicular to the gunner in a distance of 1-2 miles at an unknown altitude (but somewhere around 25k)... that's an almost impossible target even if the gun had proxy fuses. It's just 1-3 very small dots without any indication of actual distance/altitude.

Sorry, but with the information we have now, it's in no way at all discouraging the proverbial 'town milker'. I certainly will be not. There would have to be a lot of additional changes to do so. They may come, but as for now...  :airplane:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »
The German 88. Most feared multi-use weapon of WW2.
Now let's see how close those cv's will get :rock
Between SB's and 88's, I don't think cv jocks will be bringing them close to shore now.

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »
moin

this gun is not better as the gun of a Tiger so i think the cv will not have many trubbel with tham.

cu

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »
Finally some flack on the fields!  :cheers:
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
moin

this gun is not better as the gun of a Tiger so i think the cv will not have many trubbel with tham.

cu
good Moaning
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
The German 88. Most feared multi-use weapon of WW2.
Now let's see how close those cv's will get :rock
Between SB's and 88's, I don't think cv jocks will be bringing them close to shore now.

:cheers: Oz

Without a coordinated enemy offense, that may be true.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
The 88 should die with a single rocket or burst of cannon fire. For those players with a mind to vulch it will become target no 1. Bear in mind it has a slow and predictable rate of fire so you should be able to evade its fire by changing course at the right time.

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
 :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok Yes, welcome to the new kill club...muahahahahahaha :devil
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »

No. No it is not gamey.  My Father, in the mid 90's was sationed at NTC as the OPFOR.  He managed to climb a small hill during one of the simulated engagements and ended up with his BMP-2's (Modified M551 Sheridans)  Pretty much Co-Alt with some attack helicopters on their way to the engagement, where his guys promptly opened up on them and knocked them out of the fight.  There's alot more to that story but that's the short version.

This came up a couple of years ago as well, at the time I posted an account from a Soviet veteran that was in command of a Guards tank regiment that was equipped with Lend-Lease Sherman tanks.  The Soviet commander stated that they would park their Shermans on berms to allow them to fire on oncoming low flying German planes.  He never said they hit anything but he did clearly state they did fire their main guns at low flying attackers.  In Rudel's book, he mentions that he didn't like attacking Soviet Sherman units for this very reason in addition to the additional .50 cal guns the Shermans had for defense.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song