Author Topic: GV Defense conundrum  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: GV Defense conundrum
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
you are not wrong.....M flies like an N after its rudder has been shot off....N does most things better than M

Was gonna say, the N had an enlarged verticle stabalizer and rudder, didn't it?

As for the 'most things' part, how exactly do you mean that? The N always felt more stable to me, but it always seemed the M was better in the proverbial knife fight, which always seems to be an inevetability if you're in a furball.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
I favor the D-40 over the N unless I'm tagging along heavy behind a bomber mission to clean up what they miss.  I think it handles better and it definitely weighs less.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:18 AM »
 As for GV defense, the best defense is offense is the old saying. Static defense is only good when you control none of the surrounding area like the French at Den bin phu in 1954 and that didn't go so well. Going to the enemies staging area (The spawn) to set up an ambush scenarios is just good warfare. It prevents concentration of enemy forces and make him fight on your terms and in turn stop them from their main mission the base take or what ever it was to be.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
if by 'base' you mean the airfield, it is seldom the focus of a GV attack. it is normally the town.

as a dedicated GVer, I've found the best defence is, like wastin says above, drive out and check the town, (if there's nobody in planes to do a flyby) then work back to the spawn, because that's where they're coming from and where they're easier to find, to find out where they're going. if an attacking GVer is smart and knows there's any defense up, he doesn't make a beeline to his target. beside, the auto-ack does a pretty good job of initial defense on GVs. I'd wanna start my defense as close to the spawn as I can.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
Because when you "defend" you don't get anything. When you attack you have easy kills, and your name in lights with out the chance of losing a base. This game revolves around attack. With the "horde" syndrome infecting most new players defending is a no-win proposition. Your always out numbered, and any advantage you have by picking your "spot" is negated by the 20 other players coming in in 3 hundred foot high Lancs.

For those who deal in "absolutes", sure now and then you run into a fun battle chasing guys in and around a town, or some ambush out over looking a likely incoming path to a field/town.

Seeing as the "tanking" side of the game was an "after thought" it really isn't fleshed out all that well. With the rumored re-work of the strat system maybe there could be a number of GV supply depots spread around. Maybe each supplies 5-6 bases. Destroy the depot and those bases lose supplies and limits the tanks that can spawn there. Of course they would have to be under ground bunkers so that we wouldn't have air attacks able to damage them. This would create a battle area for tanks alone. Something to fight for or DEFEND.

I always thought that there should be a LOT more spawn points on each map. Instead of having one point from base A to base B and visa-verse, there should be at least 3 per side. Camp one and they can spawn in the next one over for a flanking maneuver. At least this would add more "life like" tactics. A tank column isn't going to roll down the one and only most likely path to attack is it?

Make spawn camping harder, and give the tankers something to fight over and the tank game will really take off. 

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
I disagree that spawn camping is good defense because you "ambush them"

Unless you have enough tanks to cover the entire spawn area, and then some.  Because the guys spawning in can just as easily ambush the spawn camper.  THe spawn camper just spent 10 minutes driving to the spawn, the enemies spawning in materialize instantly and keep spawning in with infinite lives. 
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
Was gonna say, the N had an enlarged verticle stabalizer and rudder, didn't it?

As for the 'most things' part, how exactly do you mean that? The N always felt more stable to me, but it always seemed the M was better in the proverbial knife fight, which always seems to be an inevetability if you're in a furball.

No, the rudder is the same. The N has a longer fillet, which in theory, added additional longitudinal stability. In air to air, the M climbs much better, accelerates faster and has a slightly tighter turn radius. The tighter turn radius is just about offset by the N's superior stability at the limit.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Spawn points should not be depicted on the map.  Use the keypad type approach you select from a drop down the field you wish to spawn near, with that field being keypad #5 and you select 1-9 to spawn  five miles out  or something like that.

creates a larger area to search for GV's and defend against.  The only place to defend a base from is at the MAP room. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
I like the invisible spawn points as well.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:17:34 AM by icepac »

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
Spawn points should be far less predictable.  Spawn campers really do nothing for the game aside from choke off spawn points to make them unusable while padding their score.  I have a squaddie that will do this on trinity.  He will leave the game on all day, start a sortie in the morning and camp off and on (hides his tank behind a berm) to go afk for extended periods and then before bed go land his kills.  This should not be a part of game play in my opinion.