Author Topic: Surviving a fire?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Surviving a fire?
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Noob Statement to follow..... Wouldn't starving the fire of oxygen through a steep nose dive or cutting the engine (and/or flow of fuel), BE a fire suppression technique? I get that we don't have an "Engine 2 fire extinguisher button"...

Your dive might just intensify the fire causing structural damage before  reaching a point where you "blow" the fire out.

With gunfire damage many times the fire is oil leaking from a cracked engine case or gunfire damage to fuel or oil lines.  On a B-17 or B-24 each engine has a 32 gallon oil tank mounted next to it...32 gallons of burning oil will do a lot of damage and there is no way to shut the flow off.  Oil burns very hot.

Inflight fires scare the poop out of me, and I'm almost fearless.  :devil
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Just a simple bomber pilot concerned for his crew, hoping there's a chance tail gunner Jimmy will get back to his honey stateside.....

... Just lie to me HiTech and tell me that it's POSSIBLE!  :joystick:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
I hope I didn't get to this thread too late to do this...

Also I think the velaciraptor is from Canada.
Based on its size I'd say it's a Utahraptor.

No, its a Toronto raptor!

Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown