Author Topic: Using tracers for aiming  (Read 2362 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Using tracers for aiming
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:15 AM »
What gunsight is that?

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
Jeez.  Can't believe Leviathn used to hit up sometimes near 20% back in the old days.  I'd usually hover around 11-15%.

You called, Sir?

(Image removed from quote.)

As some players have freakishly high hit% while having only one or two sorties in fighter mode (coming across a formation of low buffs and then switching to attack mode for the rest of the tour), I simply limited this analysis to all pilots that had at least 100 sorties in fighter mode.
That's hundreds of players who collectively have more than 2/3rd of all fighter mode sorties & kills in the LW MA.

Clarification 12.02% pilots at 6% hit percentage means 12.02% of all those pilots with at least 100 sorties had a hit % between 6.00 and 7.99%

++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
Yes, this is probably the most important factor when you want someone to break of your wingman's 6 it is good idea to make him see your tracers
even if you can't hit. It would be one of the primary reasons to have them on. Usually when pilot sees tracers near him he breaks for good.

I would argue the opposite.  If I'm being hit but can't see which direction the tracer is coming from, I'm more likely to break off due to not being 100% certain of whose shooting at me, and from where.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
If he's saddled up on your buddy then you want him to know you're shooting at him.

He'll know when either he's starting to lose parts or he's in the tower already.  I'd rather be invisible until I get a sure fire killing shot.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
I don't use tracers and haven't used them for about 10 years....

Why? Nath defined most reasons I don't use them.

1) Tracers can alert my target (and every other nearby bad guy who sees them).
2) Tracers alert GVs if I'm strafing.
3) In a Wirbel or field ack, the enemy doesn't know he's being shot at until he's hit.

It's all about stealth and deception....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
I aim with my tracers.  In fact I've turned off the gunsight in my p47m. 

I fly every other plane with a special sight made by Bustr. Its similar to the Mk8M6, but with some tracking lines on the sides for low deflect shots.  It's hard to explain, but you basically put the target between these two lines as you lead, then watch it go boom.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
Always use tracers crew, checking in.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."