Author Topic: Skuzzy - DisplayPort Hub  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skuzzy - DisplayPort Hub
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
First off, I don't think that any previous generation GPU architecture will compete with Maxwell. Also, I don't recommend anyone just rush out and buy one when they are released. It's not that I think the money will be wasted, but that this is a new approach and there is no telling how it will really play out. Primarily the design is intended (rumored) to correct for energy and heat issues that have plagued earlier designs. However, Nvidia is also attempting to decrease dependency on the CPU, and they are doing that by including a CPU on the card (alongside the GPU). Add to that the high cost of memory on a card that is intended to increase GPU memory (6-8GB on even mobile platforms) and it sounds like Nvidia might be setting themselves up for a face palm moment. How all of that will mix with the attempt to utilize system memory is anyone's guess, until we actually see the goods. You can bet Maxwell will not be cheap.

I can't wait to see the real deal, but I'm not looking forward to the inevitable sticker shock.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
Just got myself a R280X DirectCU instead of a lowly HD6870. I don't plan on running AH with full details but I didn't touch the card's limitations just yet.

I was actually able to enable Eyefinity with 2 monitors in DVI and one in HDMI, I couldn't do that before.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
More of the same thing I'm afraid. Being locked into the 3 - 4GB limitation is what I want to escape.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
More of the same thing I'm afraid. Being locked into the 3 - 4GB limitation is what I want to escape.

Then wait for the next gen nvidias, they aim to raise video memory considerably.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
Already said that Ripley. Thanks for keeping up.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
Already said that Ripley. Thanks for keeping up.

Ah right you did. But OTOH Nvidia has always had inflated prices so they can probably sell stuff at a much lower margin if the hardware cost is initially higher.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
first 280X was a dud, was making artefacts out of the box  :rolleyes:

Second one is aok  :aok I had second thougts about not buying the new chipset with the 290 series but the 280X has great value and is a quiet card.