Author Topic: Elite  (Read 1336 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Elite
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:17 AM »
When i am 70 i want to be like mrRipley :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
When i am 70 i want to be like mrRipley :)

Dead then most likely :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 07:48:53 AM »
 :)

I will still be working i live in Britain :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
I seem to recall the number of stars for the game being quoted at 400,000,000,000.  Number of systems at about 200,000,000,000.  Procedural generation will create most of it, with known stuff being hand created and placed.

Frontier: Elite, which was released in the early '90s on 16 bit systems such as the Amiga and Atari ST, had 200,000 systems.

Edit:

re: your signature:  Mossie is six times the ENY of the most popular Spit.  :p
with that many systems and let's assume 5 planets/stars per system and each take only 1 kilobyte of data to store, then they are looking at a Terrabyte of data. I'd love to that happen.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
with that many systems and let's assume 5 planets/stars per system and each take only 1 kilobyte of data to store, then they are looking at a Terrabyte of data. I'd love to that happen.

I'd love to see you visit every place in the whole universe. The places are generated when they're needed ;)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
I'd love to see you visit every place in the whole universe. The places are generated when they're needed ;)
Per David Braben they are generated based on a seed, but the seed is fixed by the developers which means the results are always the same.  As things get changed in the online version of the game the database size will increase, but it won't be prohibitive at first.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:02:42 AM »
AHHH that's a smart approach. They can boast a few 10^11 stars, but since only a tiny fraction of them will be visited by a player (even if the entire world population played the game) they are "potential" stars :) Still, that sounds awesome. I can think of quite a few places in our galaxy that I would like to visit and observe the game version of them  :cool:

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 04:11:08 AM »
After reading this I checked it out.  I told myself even though I played a ton of the original game 20+ years ago, I wasn't going to get into it as I put a lot into Star Citizen, and didn't want to get mixed up in another space game.  After reading this thread, then going to their site and checking everything out, I almost felt sorry for them considering how much they had received for the impressive work they've done compared to Roberts new game.

It looks like I'm too late to get into the alpha backing from what I understood of their backers page, but I'm going to pre order their premium beta game now anyway, as it looks like it'll be out pretty soon.  I'm very impressed with what they've done, and supporting Track ir right out of the gate, plus OR VR planned as well sold me.

edit - Having sped read it and missed the page with alpha still being offered, although it's about 300$ Canadian.  I think I'll do that anyhow, as it's double the price of the premium beta, but these guys really deserve support IMO, the more I've looked at the more impressed I'm getting.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:12:48 AM by Gman »

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
My husband has been playing the alpha version and says its the quality of a finished game, with very few problems - in fact people are complaining of not enough problems in the Alpha Forum!  It certainly looks impressive to me from what I have seen when he has been testing.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun