Author Topic: Just sharing a few Fighter Pilot tips  (Read 1672 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Just sharing a few Fighter Pilot tips
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »
Now I have a question.  How do you Sucessfully break into a rolling scissors without exsposing you six to long to get shot to peaces. That is were I have the Hardest time

Break early enough to point a wing at your attacker. That way they have to cross your flight path. If you get inside their turn they won't get a snap shot either.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
Now I have a question.  How do you Sucessfully break into a rolling scissors without exsposing you six to long to get shot to peaces. That is were I have the Hardest time

As FLS said, break early. Timing is crucial of course as breaking TOO early will give up your 6. Break early means around 600-400 yards (depending on speeds) not something like 1K away.

When I'm in a turn fight and I want to take the fight into the rolling scissors or I see an opportunity to do so, what I'm looking for getting a neutral 3-9 line fight (where neither of us is clearly behind the others 3-9 line) or where I am just beginning to, or have gotten behind their 3-9 line. Starting the rolling scissors when they're behind your 3-9 line gives them the advantage from the start. since the goal of a rolling scissors is to get behind your opponent. You can however take that positional advantage away from them upon entering the rolling scissors with some throttle work and well timed execution. For example, I know a few times when I have a guy dead on my six and he's closing, I'll chop my throttle back a little and go into a diving turn. When they get to gun range I'll quickly reverse my turn into a climbing turn in the opposite direction and roll over the top of them as they overshoot with excessive speed. If they panic and try to turn with me then we usually end up in a rolling scissors where we are both offensive and defensive at the same time fighting for position, or his speed is too great and I win the rolling scissors. Rolling scissors are usually done when neither plane is behind the others 3-9 line and they're trying to work for that position. It's a Neutral fight where both planes are offensive and defensive at the same time.

Best times IMO where a rolling scissors will work?
When neither plane is behind the others 3-9 line
When you're behind the others 3-9 line (usually starts when you execute a high or low Yo-yo to keep from overshooting and your opponent turns with you)
When your opponent is closing fast from your rear (usually goes into a rolling scissors if your opponent tries to follow you after you execute a BRD)

I have seen a few people try a rolling scissors when their opponent is dead on their 6. In this situation a rolling scissors is not the first thing you should go with. Turn and get them off your immediate 6, create those angles to work with, and then try setting up to force the overshoot.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
Great stuff Bathrobe! :aok   Bucking for a trainers spot I see!!!! :devil

My only comment/complaint is the text in your pictures,it's abit small for my old eyes to read,they colour is fine but next time size the font up somewhat!  if it looks too big to you,then it's about perfect for most us old guys!!!! :noid

:salute
:rofl
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.