Author Topic: I lasted two minuets.  (Read 5507 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: I lasted two minuets.
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
Oh, and virtually no one is flying for rank btw. Number 1, 2, and 3 are out of nearly everyone's reach, so what's the point? We fly for the joy of killing and if we skeddadle it is to deny the other bastage that joy.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
Oh, and virtually no one is flying for rank btw. Number 1, 2, and 3 are out of nearly everyone's reach, so what's the point? We fly for the joy of killing and if we skeddadle it is to deny the other bastage that joy.

2 or 3 is doable, but its hard to beat the motived dweeb of the month :P

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
2 or 3 is doable, but its hard to beat the motived dweeb of the month :P

Really? Getting high rank on the kill points alone involves more flying time than I would put in even if I was locked in solitary confinement with nothing but bread, water, and my AHII rig.

MOtivated? Is there a betting pool? Does #1 get a bottle of his favorite whiskey?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »
For myself...yep.  Also don't care if others are different and DO care about their stats and rank.
I think you meant couldn't care less.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
I guess I somewhat disagree here. By causing kills to affect the weight of all of the other stats (arbitrary example: like a diminishing-returns multiplier), pilots would be penalized for avoiding fights (while still being penalized for losing a plane / dying). Pilot A, who flies at 25k for twelve hours of the tour and gets 75 kills and 10 deaths would have a lower weight compared to pilot B, who had 1000 kills and 100 deaths.

With the current system, pilot A would win the ranking, all things being equal. With a weighted system, you could take into account that pilot A only has 7.5% of the kills pilot B has, and weight them appropriately.

With the current system, if pilot B was #1 for kills and pilot A was #2 for kills, all of pilot B's additional kills over 76 are useless.  In fact, his extended sortie times can inherently hurt his ranking. While this is obviously an exaggeration of what happens, the fact that it can happen this way, to me, illustrates a flaw in the scoring system.

I just don't see how the glory of the fighter pilot, which celebrates raw numbers of kills, not getting shot down, and taking on superior numbers is anywhere near reflected in the current system of "Kill quickly, fly safe, fly less, and use less ammo."

Just my .02

And how would your system work with time in game? Some guys fly over a hundred hours a month, and then there are guys like me who fly 20-40 hours on a good month. As the system is now I rank in the top 20%, but never get over 100 kills in a month. In your system my score would be basically thrown out.

HTC has a pretty good score system. Yes there are ways to pad your score to attain a higher rank, but to some that is a game in and of it self. If your looking to rank yourself against other players it would be very difficult .... in this game to come up with a system to do that. Just identifying the parameters would be a chore.

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
I think you meant couldn't care less.

*ahem* ahhhhhh..... 

Correct.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Really? Getting high rank on the kill points alone involves more flying time than I would put in even if I was locked in solitary confinement with nothing but bread, water, and my AHII rig.

MOtivated? Is there a betting pool? Does #1 get a bottle of his favorite whiskey?

being on the front page is a big enough carrot for a lot of people. Afterall aces high is a sand box-ish game so everyone sets his own challenge

If you look up the score for sirnuke on tour 157 I did achieve #2 fighter with "only" a 5.7 K/D, took me 25 hours tho  :angel: