Author Topic: Super Storm Sandy four years later  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Super Storm Sandy four years later
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
It’s been four years, Kathy was already in the hospital and we had already had to move out of our home due to damage from Irene and Lee, Sandy removed the question of do we restore or leave.  Sandy in my mind was the start of the 4 worst years of my life.  We lost our home to Sandy, taken out to sea, left an empty lot, nothing left after a 35 year, a lifetime and it still took the insurance company three and a half years and a law suite to pay the claim. Prudential sucks.  Just 8 short months after Sandy I lost my whole support system, the love of my life and reason for being to kidney disease, when Kathleen came home to our new home to die.  Since then friends from our life have all passed with just a very few remaining.  I have come to envy the dead.  I look forward to it, if I had the guts my wife had, I’d be there already .
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Super Storm Sandy four years later
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
That's terrible.  :frown:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »
It's easy to succumb to hopelessness when darkness like this sets in. Although I can't imagine the scale of your pain and loss, I'm not a stranger to those feelings. The best I can offer up is, we owe it to them to keep moving. You might lose direction, you might wonder why the hell you even bother any more, but keep moving. At some point, you won't regret it. You'll be with your wife again some day, and she'll be proud of you.

If you need somebody to talk to, I'm only a PM away.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:11 AM »
"Super Storm" -- dumbest term regarding weather ever devised by the media.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »
"Super Storm" -- dumbest term regarding weather ever devised by the media.

Given that when the eye made landfall, and the outer bands were in Chicago...it fits rather well. I've worked in many disaster areas (it's my job) and Sandy was indeed a super storm

Thoughts your way Traveler, always darkest b4 the dawn.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Xtrepid

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
It's easy to succumb to hopelessness when darkness like this sets in.
Although I can't imagine the scale of your pain and loss, I'm not a stranger to those feelings.
The best I can offer up is, we owe it to them to keep moving.
You might lose direction, you might wonder why the hell you even bother any more, but keep moving.
At some point, you won't regret it. You'll be with your wife again some day, and she'll be proud of you.

Nice post, EJ!

Hang in there, Traveler...

X   :salute

SHOOT TO THRILL
"We don't hide crazy... we just put it on the front porch and give it a drink"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
I look forward to it, if I had the guts my wife had, I’d be there already .

If your loved ones and friends were still here and heard you talking like that they would slap you. Life is precious and they would never want you wasting yours talking like that. Death comes soon enough without wishing for it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »
Keep your head up T!

:salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
If your loved ones and friends were still here and heard you talking like that they would slap you. Life is precious and they would never want you wasting yours talking like that. Death comes soon enough without wishing for it.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
I spent the winter of 2012/2013 inspecting storm damage.  I don't know if I can articulate how heartbreaking each day was.  Get up at the crack, drive an hour, sign in at the National Guard check point, enter a disaster area, and have to pick your way through carnage for 8 hours.  I did that for four months.  I was able to drive home each night to a warm house, but there were families I met in tears, saying "as soon as you're done, I'm leaving these keys on the counter for the bank, so if you need to come back, just walk in."  I met one elderly gentleman that lived right on the Absecon Inlet in AC, and when I arrived he was removing sand from his basement with a bucket.  The entire basement and his wood shop and machines were packed with sand, 7 feet deep, and this 80 year old guy is there removing sand with a hand trowel and a bucket.  Soul crushing, for sure.  But he was smiling the whole time.  He said he'd seen worse. 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
Hang in there traveler.  I've seen a lot of people struggling through situations similar to yours, and one thing that they seem to have in common is that they've found some sort of volunteer activity that keeps them going.  For example, military pharmacies have tons of volunteer positions and some of the volunteers... well, lets say that they've seen better days.  But the common thread is that every day, they get out of the house and go do something for someone else, and that seems to give them a little happiness and a reason to keep getting up every day.

So...  Just a thought, but if you're down and wondering why bother, think about calling a local charity or the red cross or something, and see if they have a volunteer opportunity that could give you something positive to do.  Those volunteers are crucial to our community and they make a real difference.  People depend on them, and sometimes knowing that you're making a difference can feel good.

Again, just a thought but it works for lots of people who are down and might be worth a try.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »
Given that when the eye made landfall, and the outer bands were in Chicago...it fits rather well. I've worked in many disaster areas (it's my job) and Sandy was indeed a super storm

Thoughts your way Traveler, always darkest b4 the dawn.

Yawn.

It was a hurricane.  Seen them many times before.  Big deal.

Hurricane Beulah.  THAT was a super storm.  The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. THAT was a super storm.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:48:13 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 06:18:04 AM »
Yawn.

Hurricane Beulah.  THAT was a super storm.  The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. THAT was a super storm.

Carla
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
Yawn.

Honestly, this thread is not about squeaking which storm was super or not. When your home is destroyed, it doesn't matter much if it was because of a freak gust of wind or the mother of all super storms. And Traveler went through even worse not too long after this.

Traveler:

I look forward to it, if I had the guts my wife had, I’d be there already

You're still soldiering on BECAUSE you have guts. Keep doing that. 'This too shall pass', and better things are waiting for you.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman