Author Topic: Artik editing config ini files for your map generator  (Read 665 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Artik editing config ini files for your map generator
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »
In looking at the config ini in the download. I don't really see where to edit it.

In my ignorance, this file looks more like a readme instruction text.

Could you copy and paste a sample of a config file for a specific area, so we can see the structure and where to enter the info?

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Artik editing config ini files for your map generator
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:12:11 PM »
First of all start from there: http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Terrain_Generation_From_Geographical_Data

In generall config.ini is just a text file that can be edited with notepad (or notepad++ recommended)

There are many key = value pairs defining various settings.
Most of the pairs are commented so it is easy to understand what to do. (Comment starts with #)

If you run makeahmap.exe as is it would take the default values and build the map of Israel.

So edit and modify values you need, the most important one defined there:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Terrain_Generation_From_Geographical_Data#Basic_Configuration

map_size - the size of the map
map_name - the same as the name of the terrain you are about to create
lat, lon - location of the area
scale - the sale of AH vs Real world map...

The defaults should be ok to start with than you can start modifying various other parameters.

Remember the basics:

- edith the config.ini and save it
- run the makeahmap.exe - see if it completes the job correctly
- Do modifications you need and start again if needed
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
Got it.

Nice work thanks

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
Yep, basically you will need to modify the following as Artik says in config.ini (I usually open it in Notepad):

# Map size in miles
# -----------------
#
# Valid values are 64, 128, 256 and 512
#
map_size=512

I have mine set to 512 which generates as 512 mile by 512 mile map.

Then look for:

# Map Region
# ----------
# you need, specify latitude and logitude of central
# point and the map scale

Under this you want to put the coordinates for your maps:

# Battle of Britain
#lat=50.52
#lon=-0.28
#scale=1.0

#Israel Area
lat=31.25
lon=33.77
scale=1.0

Note that the # tells the program to not read this line. So you can save multiple coorindates here like I did above BUT there can only be one non # lat, lon, and scale.

The lat and lon tell the center point on the globe that it will create your map from. The scale tells the program what the relationship between the game map is and the real world. scale=1.0 is 1 game map mile equals 1 real world mile. If you had the scale at 1.5 it would be 1 game map mile equals 1.5 real world miles.

I usually use http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ to get the lat and long I want to create my maps. I will get the rough coordinate, set my scale, and then run the program. First time might take a little bit of time because it fetching actual dem files. After that when you tweak by adjusting scale or shifting the lat and lon a little bit it is faster. Best way to check things is to run the program and then go look a the clipboard map it generates to see if it is covering the area you want. It will be in your output directory and the file name is mymap.bmp.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Btw Artik a HUGE thank you for this program. It is so much easier and faster than pulling DEMs into Microdem or 3Dem and then doing things there and outputting the raw file to import over in AH.  :rock
CM Terrain Team

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:27 AM »
Also note, it also integrates shoreline data with DEM model to create realistic shorelines something that is impossible to do with DEM alone.

It also generates ground cover: splattype. Also I think it needs more tuning and debugging to make best mapping between globcover data and appropriate splattype.

On that one I really need your input and help.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
Well I can tell you it does a great job on shorelines. In AH2 I used to shorelines by hand to match them as close as possible. In AH3 that is next to impossible to get the accuracy I used to get in AH2 when doing it by hand. Your program though does a very good job at this and now renders better shorelines than I can do by hand.

Will have to take a look at the splattype. Right now it seems to me to be doing a respectable job.
CM Terrain Team