Author Topic: Firewall/Download Problems  (Read 533 times)

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
Firewall/Download Problems
« on: April 07, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
It seems like every time I try to log into the game I get the warning about the firewall setting.

As far as I can tell AH9 is set to pass through the firewall, but it still just sits there waiting.

What can I do to stop this from happening?

Also, then I try to log onto the game for the first time of the day I have to wait 5 - 10 minutes for .res files to be updated. Is there somewhere I can go to download all of these files before I go into the game so I am not having to wait for the game to do it?

Thanks

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Firewall/Download Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:12:35 AM »
The message about the firewall can be triggered if the game cannot establish a connection to the server.  Are you on a wireless connection?

The game updates are down whenever there is an update to a game file.  If it is a terrain update, the only place to get them is via the game.

All those updates come down as fast as they would if it were through a WEB browser, so why do you need to download them outside of the game?  Just curious.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Some people just want to jump in to the game, say just in time for FSO, then get balked by an "update". If there was a place on the website to DL the files they could set it up to download them all over night as they slept, or some other convenient time. A complete skin folder, a complete terrain fold and so on.

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
The message about the firewall can be triggered if the game cannot establish a connection to the server.  Are you on a wireless connection?

At this time I am on a wireless connection, Skuzzy. I assume that, based on your question, the problem is due to using a wireless connection. I am in the process of eliminating the wireless by utilizing powerline adapters and being able to plug directing into that instead of relying on a wireless connection.

And if my assumption is correct, why would I not have had this problem with AHII when I was connecting via wireless on my laptop - which is what I used to play AHII?

The game updates are down whenever there is an update to a game file.  If it is a terrain update, the only place to get them is via the game.

All those updates come down as fast as they would if it were through a WEB browser, so why do you need to download them outside of the game?  Just curious.

My answer to this would basically be the same as that of Fugitive. It just seems to me that it would be much more convenient, and in my case less frustrating if we, as player, had the option of being able to download updates before entering the game.

Just saying . . . and just asking

Thanks for your input regarding this problem/situation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
Some people just want to jump in to the game, say just in time for FSO, then get balked by an "update". If there was a place on the website to DL the files they could set it up to download them all over night as they slept, or some other convenient time. A complete skin folder, a complete terrain fold and so on.

Why not just fire up the game and let it grab them while you sleep then?  What is the difference?

The skins are available in a single installation package, and have been for a while now.

At this time I am on a wireless connection, Skuzzy. I assume that, based on your question, the problem is due to using a wireless connection. I am in the process of eliminating the wireless by utilizing powerline adapters and being able to plug directing into that instead of relying on a wireless connection.

And if my assumption is correct, why would I not have had this problem with AHII when I was connecting via wireless on my laptop - which is what I used to play AHII?

My answer to this would basically be the same as that of Fugitive. It just seems to me that it would be much more convenient, and in my case less frustrating if we, as player, had the option of being able to download updates before entering the game.

What works today, may not work tomorrow, and vice-verse.  This about as true a statement about the nature of the Internet as any will be made.

Wireless connections are even more prone to problems.  Even Sun cycles will impact a wireless connection.  Wireless connections are not robust.  They are single duplex and prone to high bit errors.

The more data needed, the more likely an error will occur. If you are running any kind of anti-xxxx software, I promise you it will have an impact on the error rates in a wireless connection and not in a good way.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »
A new player wont have all the terrains. With the switch over of maps some weeks they could log in and have to download a map each time, something that may be frustrating to them.

If there was a spot to DL them all like the skins then they could grab them all once. Just saying.