Author Topic: twin engine management question  (Read 4286 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: twin engine management question
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

Will do that! Above corner speed do you think i should slow down with only 1 engine, both or does it not matter to get the best turn rate? Personally i think i both engines but i like this to be confirmed :uhoh

If you are above corner speed and descending you'll want to reduce speed if you need to turn better. Pull off both throttles.

If you are turning level or in a climbing turn you will slow down anyway just from induced drag and gravity.

Speed is energy. Altitude is energy. If you trade speed for altitude you maintain more energy than if you burn it off to slow down. Altitude over your opponent is usually an advantage.  This is why you see the climbing lead turn in the merge. Both aircraft are over corner speed and want to maintain energy while competing for position with turn rate and radius.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
If you are above corner speed and descending you'll want to reduce speed if you need to turn better. Pull off both throttles.

"snip"

Speed is energy. Altitude is energy. If you trade speed for altitude you maintain more energy than if you burn it off to slow down. Altitude over your opponent is usually an advantage.  This is why you see the climbing lead turn in the merge. Both aircraft are over corner speed and want to maintain energy while competing for position with turn rate and radius.

Yeah most of these things are pretty clear to me.

If you are turning level or in a climbing turn you will slow down anyway just from induced drag and gravity.

Got it thanks! Very helpful.

I think i have all the information i was looking for. All your answers where very appreciated. <S>
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:38:13 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Very interesting, i sometimes use it for this as well but i never knew for sure this had any real effect on the way the plane handels or even worse harms me. Thank you for confirming. PS: i was kinda hoping you would reply bozon, cause of the amazing manual you have written about the mossie. :aok

Will do that! Above corner speed do you think i should slow down with only 1 engine, both or does it not matter to get the best turn rate? Personally i think i both engines but i like this to be confirmed :uhoh
I am happy you enjoyed the mossie guide.

If you want more drag for slowing down, chop both throttle. The two windmilling props add a huge amount of drag.

Skidding into the turn by adding rudder and pushing the nose into the turn also burns energy. This can be assisted by differential throttles - HOWEVER, the effect of the throttles on skidding will be minimal when the speed is high (when you really need it) and the rudder is much more effective for this. At slow speeds you usually dont want to burn E by skidding in turns. Stalling the mossie with uneven throttles and full rudder applied is going to make your navigator hate you forever  :uhoh
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:10:12 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
All wrong! Best way is to zero off the left engine, do a single left barrel roll, nose down and use the dual throttle to power back up the left engine then scream really loudly and lawndart it.  :bolt:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2