Author Topic: R-i-i-i-i-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-t.....  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: R-i-i-i-i-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-t.....
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
Birds aren't ballistic, nor are they made of metal, and they can ruin your day if they hit an engine.  What if circumstances conspired (scarily unlikely circumstances, like winning the powerball while being struck by lightning unlikely, but we're already in that realm) such that he was pulling up again after the bullet went up, then came down, and he happened to be closing with the bullet?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »
Nope. The bullet must be intercepted while it is still ballistic and able to do damage. If you look at the ballistic table linked above even at 3000 feet the 50 cal drop is only 28 feet vertically. And at 3000 feet the bullet speed drops to ~1000fps, and relative to the P-38 around 500fps.  I would wage in any scenario where the bullet intersects the plane again it has to go non-ballistic and dropping at terminal velocity only.

You keep ignoring the fact the bullet has to do damage when it hits, thus still needs be travelling fast relative to the P-38. (ie your cricket ball is not going to damage a P38)

Now, about the bridge you want to buy from me.

Ever poked around a radiator much

Doesn't take a lot to jam a hole through it.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
So Vulcan, if the bullet was just hanging there in mid air and the P38 was doing 350 MPH and the 2 met your summary is that it could do no damage?

Not sure I would want to walk across any bridge bearing your name.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 04:47:24 PM »
Going up the escalator would substantially increase to impact velocity.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
What would be the possibility of a misfire/slug leaving the aircraft at a severely reduced velocity and ultimately ending up in the engine to cause the damage
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
So Vulcan, if the bullet was just hanging there in mid air and the P38 was doing 350 MPH and the 2 met your summary is that it could do no damage?

Not sure I would want to walk across any bridge bearing your name.

Well if you going to change the physical laws of the universe and have bullets randomly hovering in front of aircraft I guess it could happen... at terminal velocity at 50 cal round is going to have about 110-120 foot/pounds of energy - close to a subsonic 22lr but being a bigger round it would depend how it hit (ie side on or pointy end on).

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:35:53 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
What would be the possibility of a misfire/slug leaving the aircraft at a severely reduced velocity and ultimately ending up in the engine to cause the damage

Yeah or a semi-squib round, etc..

The author’s description/implication leaves much to be desired, but...
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
Well here is the damage a subsonic 2x4 can do:https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andrew8.gif
Pies not kicks.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
I personally love Bill Yenne and have read many of his books. Oddly enough, my favorite of his is his military biography of Alexander. He is a good researcher.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Theoretically possible, but beyond incredibly unlikely. Like into the "guy accidentally drops his old black powder carbine and it discharges and hits bullseye 1200m away".

Yeah, it's possible, sure. But you're going to wait years before you see it again.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.