Author Topic: German helmet collecting  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: German helmet collecting
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 01:30:24 PM »
nice collection and pics.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 12:11:42 PM »
Impressive to say the least.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 05:15:56 PM »
Forgot one !!

M42 unissued Luftwaffa

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 05:31:26 PM »
That's a very nice one
 :cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 09:01:32 PM »
Wonders why your collection is strictly biased to the Nazi side of the world's worst conflict. :headscratch:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 09:19:13 PM »
Wonders why your collection is strictly biased to the Nazi side of the world's worst conflict. :headscratch:

While I dont collect anything I just think the German helmets look cooler. Most allied helmets might as will look like a cook pot turned upside down!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 01:13:01 AM »
When you start collecting something, you'll soon find out that you don't have space and money to collect everything under a category which is why you should specialize to a sub-category.

In this case: Helmets>Military helmets>WW2 mil. helmets>Axis helmets>German WW2 helmets. That could be restricted further if needed like Luftwaffe only, one manufacturer only, one decal maker only...

As Fugi said, they also have that certain look. Not to mention that studying the history of the loser/enemy can widen one's perspective as history is written and re-written by the winners and the enemy will remain demonized for decades.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2023, 11:10:26 AM »
When you start collecting something, you'll soon find out that you don't have space and money to collect everything under a category which is why you should specialize to a sub-category.

In this case: Helmets>Military helmets>WW2 mil. helmets>Axis helmets>German WW2 helmets. That could be restricted further if needed like Luftwaffe only, one manufacturer only, one decal maker only...

As Fugi said, they also have that certain look. Not to mention that studying the history of the loser/enemy can widen one's perspective as history is written and re-written by the winners and the enemy will remain demonized for decades.

Definitely this.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »
What Bizman said. Believe it or not I have a collection of dirt  :x

I have sand from the Piramids, sand from Utah beach, Gettesburg, Shilo, the catacombs in Paris, Custers last stand. A India temple. A small piece of the Roman Colosseum.  All in little vials.

I am a collector of history. I had friends that went to these places and brought this home for me.
nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2023, 02:27:40 PM »
German metals and insignias:
Left to right, top to bottom

Infantry assault badge
Iron cross first class with case
Tunic ribbin and Heer cap thingy
Second row:
Black wound badge
Heer collar tabs
Bottom row:
Heer breast eagle
Next one I don't remember
Center, a collar tab with a story
And an Iron cross second class

nopoop

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »
 Sometimes it's good to study the bad guys, and how they became the bad guys, so that we don't follow the same path ourselves.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2023, 02:31:56 PM »
And besides, preserving history just for the sake of her serving history is not a bad idea.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »
German metals and insignias:
Left to right, top to bottom

Infantry assault badge
Iron cross first class with case
Tunic ribbin and Heer cap thingy
Second row:
Black wound badge
Heer collar tabs
Bottom row:
Heer breast eagle
Center, a collar tab with a story
And an Iron cross second class

Nice collection!

I have an original cap thingy I put on a repo cap withba repo eagle I picked up at sun and fun one year

Couple of luftwaffe patches/breast eagle and an iron cross

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2023, 03:57:51 PM »

The story of the collar tab starts in 1967 when I was a sophomore in high school. German stuff was neat and a kid offered me these three items for twenty five bucks. I wanted them for the breast eagle for my cut off jean vest. How cool is that ? Put it on my vest and another kid saw it and wanted that eagle BAD !! So I sold it to him for fifty bucks.

So I had the collar tab which I knew nothing about and the Nordlan ribbon thing that I thought it was a ribbon that went around a hat on a boat named Nordlan. put them away and thirty years went by.

Got into helmets and one day tried to find what they were on the net. Turns out the  Nordlan thing was a cuff title for the Nordlan division of the SS. Being mint it was worth around thousand dollars  :x  I looked everywhere for it. I never found it.

So all that was left was the collar tab I had never seen anywhere.  Turns out that in 1944 the Germans were short of combat experienced soldiers. So they pulled all combat experienced SS soldiers who were guards at the camps into fighting once again. The replacement guards wore this tab on their collar. Mine appears unissued.

These tabs were all made at Dachau.

I would never sell it. I will not burn or destroy it. I have owned it for 56 years. It "is" and it will remain as such.
nopoop