Author Topic: One thing that piss me off about F4U  (Read 826 times)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
One thing that piss me off about F4U
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
I like rudder/roll combos when in the P-47, 1D, P-51, P-38, and FW's, using them to fake out the G pullers like the Spit and N1K2. As they blow that energy to get a snap shot, my E stat stays relatively the same, so when they flounder out I'm ready to capitalize (hehe Creamo   )  

------------------
 Moo! to fanatics, Neigh! to everyone else.
 -- Bessy

Dirty Turd Poop Group www.33rd.org

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
  Wel, it was your guncam movies that you made back in AW, a couple of years ago, Jigster that helped me learn to fly the P-47 there. And "there" provide me a good stepping off point for here.

-Westy

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
Beeking i know how you feel about this sort of thing but i have to say i dont think the F4u is very(if at all) overmodelled ,its just we have a very late plane that was one of the last of the prop planes and was truelly a monster.I think in this fight you described those gondalas would make a difference (20-30kph reduction in speed i believe?) plus drag and as stated before you may have been fighting a good pilot and just got plain complacent, I know i do sometimes  .When you have 3 or 4 easy fights with a certain plane you begin to ignore them as a threat,this is usually the time you meet an excellent pilot who shows you some new tricks!.
I just feel the f4c is too powerfull to be so readily available.
now im going to be honest here!
I think its an easy plane to fly.It has a few tricky querks but easily avoided once flown a few times.Its guns are (and feel) far more potent than most other planes with similar performance(not loadout).I fly 190a8 and never really use 4x20mm but when i have they do feel as powerfull but they are harder to hit with i think(bullet drop?) and the performance of the 190 is terrible with 4x20's.It is in effect the perfect choice for jabo purely on its ord loadout and you can hit planes with those guns at greater ranges with less effort than it takes in a plane with a similar gun loadout.
Im not saying the F4c wasnt like this,it probably was but because of the ease you can run up kills in it,it has become far too common in the MA.
 I dont think there is a solution to this problem though.Perks may work and im willing to try it to find out and as a gesture to show you all im not just out to get the f4c id agree to perking my favourite ride the 190a8 if they go ahead and perk the f4c.I cant say fairer than that.
 We need to try new stuff and see what the MA runs like THEN decide whether its working.

roll on perking  

hazed

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2001, 09:25:00 PM »
Well with the AW Jug, the only way you were going to get the jump on anything was leaving the pitch axis alone  

Same basic principle from that old Jug stuff, along with the Vader stuff... while the other guy is doing that barrel role thingy, you stay within "the barrel" doing an airshow style aileron roll. It gives the appearence that your outturning them, and I've seen a few guys go into tantrums after getting whacked that way  

I've only seen a few other people use something simular, Frenchy, Drex, and Nath being the few I can think of offhand.

It's just funny to be -- say in a P-47, lock horns with a N1K2, let him whittle away his energy that way, then suddenly pull straight up, rudder over, and pop him as his nose drops  

I'm getting in the awful habit of doing that in the TBM now, and it has some wonderful result  

-Bess