Author Topic: p38  (Read 447 times)

Offline laz

• Copper Member
p38
« on: January 19, 2002, 08:43:10 PM »
I have just started looking into the history of the p38's, and i was wondering if anyone can give me differences between p38j, and p38l. (i.e engines, guns, top speed, weight... ) Anything ya know and could tell me would be very helpful. :D

(another way to teach the differences would be to add p38j to 1.09 *wink wink*)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: p38
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2002, 05:16:30 AM »
Originally posted by laz
I have just started looking into the history of the p38's, and i was wondering if anyone can give me differences between p38j, and p38l. (i.e engines, guns, top speed, weight... ) Anything ya know and could tell me would be very helpful. :D

(another way to teach the differences would be to add p38j to 1.09 *wink wink*)

P-38 Online

Should have what you're looking for.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
p38
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2002, 12:05:59 PM »
For a list of all 38 variants with all their specifics:
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p38.html

Offline Geeesy

• Zinc Member
p38
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2002, 02:55:30 PM »
Read this good links, I tried to bring the major differences between J and L together as you asked:

As far as I know the P38J had nearly the same specifications as the L, both came up to the same engine rating and the designed was not changed very much. The one major problem which broke the necks of most P38 pilots until the L versions was the leaking dive abbility. At some point after 400mph (most pilots didnt dare to find out were exactly it was...) The air was so much compressed by the cockpit and the wing roots, that the airflow was directed over and down the elevator, so due to this lack of airflow at the elevator the pilot lost totaly pitch controll at that point. Unless they havent tried to bail out (something that was also known to be very tricky in all 38's) there was nothing to do than throttle down and pray the compression would slow down the bird good enough to get below 400mph and get back the pitch control (most of the times unlikely). Some late versions of the P38J (think it was P38J-25-LO) and all P38L got extra developed dive flaps to bring back the airflow to the elevator to avoid this nasty dive effects. Namely for this development the Luftwaffe dedicated downed shortly after it a transport aircraft on the way to brittain with a full load of this extra dive flaps supposed to upgrade some P38J's squadrons... Another addon of the P38L and later P38J (-25-LO) modells was the hydraudically boosted ailerons which used to push up the roll performance. So if HTC is going to implement the P38J some day I expect it to be nearly as fast, climbing and turning like the L, just with a slower rate of roll and this above 400mph dive problem. But well if they wanna do the P38 fans a favour they could keep the modell of the P38L repaint the skin a little bit and call it a P38J-25-LO.;)

Anybody feel free to correct me or add other facts...

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
p38
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2002, 07:50:58 PM »
Only fault I found was the 38 being hard to bail out. It wasnt. You just had to do it in a different way :)

I do wish HTC models the 38J without the boosted aleirons and without the dive flaps and with a slightly less powerful engine.. but the 38J was faster and had bit better accel.

Funny though, methinks they just need to paint it green, remove dive flaps, make it a few lbs lighters and lower engine power a lil bit.

GREEN IS GOOD :) :)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
p38
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2002, 05:54:51 AM »
Here's a link to a P-38 film on Zeno's Warbirds Drive-In site.  Actuall WW2 training film of the P-38 flight characteristics.  

Flight Characteristics of the P-38

Offline laz

• Copper Member
p38
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2002, 03:28:23 PM »
Thx for all the links... I will start looking into them now :D

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
p38
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2002, 02:58:56 AM »
Lazer,

*SLAP*

(why, because I felt like it)

:D

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
p38
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 05:11:24 AM »
"Namely for this development the Luftwaffe dedicated downed shortly after it a transport aircraft on the way to brittain with a full load of this extra dive flaps supposed to upgrade some P38J's squadrons"

Actualy, I believe the RAF shot down the transport........

(we didn't like the P38 either....)

Offline laz

• Copper Member
p38
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2002, 05:07:41 PM »
*SLAP* Apar.

(Why, Because you started it =P)