Author Topic: Anyone Else think...  (Read 305 times)

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2002, 02:13:02 PM »
any historical data  about efectivnes of the  50 caliber vs big planes  like medium or heavy bombers ?

plzz    

just curious :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2002, 03:34:00 PM »
Any one know how effective, in terms of direct damage caused, the LW A2A rockets were?

I wonder if we might end up with an analogue of the GV/jabo paradox: History says they were effective, analysis says they were not (fighters against Armour, I mean).

I've always understood the rockets "broke formations up"; but I've never heard of any one ever actually claiming a kill with one; were there any rocket kills claimed?

I'm wondering if rockets will be so effective in breaking up an AI box, it's not like the AI wil scatter and ram each other in panic, is it?

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2002, 03:51:04 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking those light air to air rockets will finally get some use now that there are many more targets to shoot at.

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2002, 04:32:43 PM »
Three numbers............

LLB OUT!!!!!!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2002, 05:22:58 PM »
Originally posted by ra
Put a frikkin crowbar in your wallets and spring for a Chog.  Jeeeez.

LOL:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2002, 05:45:11 PM »
Is everyone forgetting the new bombing tactics and routine you need to do to drop your bombs from a buff? Is everyone forgetting the higher you go with your buffs, the greater the dispersion of your bombs?  That means most buff runs gonna be 15-20k - maybe lower to be more accurate...

Something to think about.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2002, 05:54:09 PM »
Well minus... I have an account of a Beaufighter taking down a B17 with 16 rounds of 20mm.  Not exactly 50 calibre but hey +)

SKurj

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2002, 05:57:55 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Is everyone forgetting the new bombing tactics and routine you need to do to drop your bombs from a buff? Is everyone forgetting the higher you go with your buffs, the greater the dispersion of your bombs?  That means most buff runs gonna be 15-20k - maybe lower to be more accurate...

Something to think about.

No, actually both Wotan and I did mention it in this thread.
But it bears restating I guess.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2002, 05:58:01 PM »
exactly mister fork. 10 -  12 k would be my guess.

at that alt most planes will be buff killers.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2002, 06:10:13 PM »
50's vs bufs... I doubt you will find much.  The two  items I can think of would kind of indicate that they should not be that great:
1) The Germans, who spent a lot of time figuring out how to down bombers, didn't consider anything under 20mm to be effective.
2) This link describes a running battle between a B-17 and He177.  I won't ruin the ending for you, but it is clear that neither MG's or HMG's will bring down either of these very quickly.

That said, since HTC says that once a drone bomber drops out of formation for some distance it will vanish, I'm going to go out on a limb a maintain that .50's will prove to be *very* effective in AH.  Just the raw number of bullets should allow even a cross-eyed-dweeb-stick like myself to knock out an engine and cause the drone to fall out of formation.  Once it does that I am going to ignore it knowing that it will be registered as a kill soon.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2002, 06:11:07 PM »
If buffs are forced to usually fly at 10 to 12 k..there will be few buffs arround pretty quick. With 5 k of dive and 4 hispanos buffs can be culled from the herd real easy....

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2002, 07:59:46 PM »
For a non-perk though, I think I'll try the Yak-BFG. That big honkin' cannon ought to get the job done.

Lephturn:

How good are the Yak 37 mms on a buff?

The problem I see with the YAK is that you always take off with 2 critical problems,

1. you are low on fuel

2. you are low on ammo

Other than the 2 above problems the YAK9 is a beautiful flyer.

How is it above 20K???

AKEagle

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2002, 03:43:16 AM »
Fw 190 A8 is the best buff hunter. Me 110 have more firepower, but  Fw 190 A8 handle a very hi speeds it's the key.
F4U-C is my perked choice.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Anyone Else think...
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2002, 07:53:49 AM »
How good are the Yak 37 mms on a buff? The problem I see with the YAK is that you always take off with 2 critical problems,

1. you are low on fuel

Take 100%. Lasts quite a while

2. you are low on ammo

In comparison to other fighters yes. But if you fire at under 200 in range you have more than enough for a 3,4 or 5 kill run.

Other than the 2 above problems the YAK9 is a beautiful flyer. How is it above 20K???

Um, that's "MUTHA_beautiful" flyer :)    It's "ok" above 20k. Better than an LA5 or LA7 ;) but not good vs a 38, 152 or a P-47 for sure.

All imo, of course.

Westy