Author Topic: Know Thine Aircraft - Improved Performance Comparison Charts  (Read 2087 times)

TT

Know Thine Aircraft - Improved Performance Comparison Charts
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 1999, 12:27:00 PM »
 Granger. Not to sound like im beating a dead horse. Something ive noted and tested. If im useing  a joystick utility to get around the SSS problem, my planes are slower than if I use AH stick set up. Setting dead band larger does not seem to make any difference. This might be true of any utility. You might use a stop watch and test your stick utility against the ah set up.

spinny

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 1999, 12:30:00 PM »
Spinny,
" Just as the quote states, "When you get about 2 to 3k from him..." He is not right on your 6, that distance gives me plenty of room to do a  high yo-yo and meet him head on with an altitude advantage unless he chose to go vertical too."

That's not a high yo-yo. Yo-yos and barrel rolls, etc, are used to prevent an overshoot. If he's behind you, you can't overshoot him. Or at least that's how I read Shaw.

------------------
Spinny, VF-17
8X

Rojo

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 1999, 05:35:00 PM »
Flathead: I think you may be in error here. Unloading the aircraft refers to a 1-G condition. This means your velocity vector is unchanging, and you're going in a straight line. Zero-G on the other hand means you're weightless in the cockpit. The only way to hold this condition is by holding constant forward stick pressure (if you're upright, that is). Even then, you'll only be able to hold this for a short time. Soon, your a/c will reach a vertical decent, then begin the bottom half of an outside loop, where negative G's will occur.

NASA simulates zero-G for astronaut training by taking the trainees up in a large aircraft like a Boeing 707.  The airplane is put into a dive to build energy (not too steep of course...it is a bus after all), then zooms into a climb. The pilot then applies steady forward pressure, causing the a/c to inscibe a parabolic arch in its flight path. Over the top of that arch, the aicraft is able to maintain zero-G conditions for the passengers, sometimes for as long as half a minute.

------------------
Rojo (S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 1999, 06:16:00 PM »
as far as all the data goes, its still just a game, but the little guy that bails out of a plane, he has a nice arch posion for skydiving, just my two cents worth.
              )

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 1999, 06:49:00 PM »
Spinney,
You and I are obviously not speaking of the same maneuver. What I have been told is a high yo-yo and what you are refering as one don't seem to match. Never having read Shaw I don't know what he calls a high yo-yo. This is not to say he or you are wrong. I may be :-).

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 1999, 07:22:00 PM »
Mark and spinny,

I may not be the one to tackle this but...  

I think Mark was explaining a half immelmen or chandelle, basically a reversal in direction while gaining alt.

A hi-yoyo doesnt require the reversal.

I hope im right or close, and not just confusing the issue.  

Camel

------------------
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.

Peter Tosh

aircat

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 1999, 03:51:00 AM »
 the only N1K I seen modled in AW original box was the N1K1 not the N1K2............. this is just an observation from a non AW player .... I just seen scans of the box set.

spinny

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 1999, 04:19:00 AM »
Well, Shaw's the bible: here's the title:

Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering (Naval Institute Press, 1985).

Chapter 2 discusses high and low yo-yos, etc. (btw, the yo-yo is named for the pilot who first performed the move, but it's a damned accurate name for it).

------------------
Spinny, VF-17
8X

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 1999, 08:31:00 AM »
*sigh*

Aircat, you have said that once before and it was responded too by several people.

IT IS A TYPO !!!!

Here is the definitive proof. Go look at the graphic of the N1K in AW. Do you see a midwing aircraft (wings attached mid-way up the fuselage, similar to a Wildcat)? Or do you see the wings attached to the bottom of the fuselage (more like the Hellcat)?

The major difference between the N1K1 and the N1K2, is that the original was a midwing design with a problematic long landing gear. This caused problems so that in the K2 version (and later) it was redesign as a low wing aircraft.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

funked

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 1999, 09:07:00 AM »
Rojo - Unloading means you are trying to eliminate induced lift from the wings.  At 1-g you still have to produce lift to fight gravity.  If you go for 0-g then there's no lift, and the drag is minimized.

Rojo

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 1999, 06:21:00 PM »
Funked: with all due respect, "unloading" mean neutralizing the controls, i.e. your not pulling any artificially produced G's.  To hold 0-G's, you must hold the stick forward, thus constantly altering your angle of attack. This produces excess drag. Flying straight and level, with hands off the controls, the aircraft is said to be "unloaded."  It doesn't mean there's no drag...just that your not producing any induced drag to to control movements.

------------------
Rojo (S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 1999, 07:38:00 PM »
The Nik2 kicks the 109k4's butt in every department, except climb between 23-30k.  Certainly has the best overall stats.

Kinda interesting considering brand W models the 109k4 as a beast of a plane!  

I'm not sure how closely these stats reflect what we see in the game though.  I'll take it with a grain of salt and say it's good for discussion  ...

Be EXtra cool though if you do the same using the AH planes as they are in the game  ...

Ex